- :+39 825 299381 :+39 825 781585
Institute of Food Science
National Research Council (CNR)
October 1997-March 2001
Ph.D.in Chemistry, University of Catania, Italy
November1989 -March 1995
Master of Science in Chemistry, University of Naples
Date (since-to): 1st February 2001 - nowadays Employer/Institution:National Research Council (CNR) – Institute ofFood Science (ISA)
Research lines/topics: “Structural analysis of biopolymers by ESI and MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry.
Her research activity has been carried out in the field of Mass Spectrometry Methodologies. Main research lines concern 1) Structural analysis of the oligosaccharide and polysaccharides byMALDI-TOF, 2) Structural study of synthetic polymers by MALDI-TOF, 3) Analysis of proteins mixtures and proteomic studies by advanced mass spectrometry techniques (MALDI, ESI, FAB).
Recently, research activity of Dr. Rosaria Cozzolino is focused on the analysis of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) by Solid Phase Micro-Extraction (SPME) coupled to GC-MS, to investigate questions of food and clinical interest.
In food flavor analysis, the aim is to develop SPME GC-MS strategies to:
(ii) Analyze volatile/flavor metabolites to obtain their “profile” in food, often followed by multivariate analysis, used for authenticity testing and products classification and comparison mainly,
(iii) Conduct target analysis of compounds that are either restricted, or known as important for quality, processing and storage.
In clinical analysis, the interest is to study the VOCs profiles by SPME GC-MS obtained from biological fluids samples (i. e. urine), in order to evaluate the potential of the volatile metabolites in the diagnosing and treating of different diseases (autism, diabetes, obesity).
- Cozzolino R, Martignetti A, Pellicano MP, Stocchero M, Cefola M, Pace B, De Giulio B Characterisation of volatile profile and sensory analysis of fresh-cut ‘‘Radicchio di Chioggia’’ stored in air or modified atmosphere Food Chemistry 2016 192, 603–611
- Malorni L, Martignetti A, Cozzolino R Volatile Compound Profiles by HS GC-MS for the Evaluation of Postharvest Conditions of a Peach Cultivar. 2015 Ann Chromatogr Sep Tech. 1, 1007-1010.
- Cozzolino R, Ramezani S, Martignetti A, Mari A, Piacente S, De Giuli Determination of volatile organic compounds in the dried leaves of Salvia species bysolid-phase microextraction coupled to gas chromatography mass spectrometry 2015 Natural Product Research, DOI: 10.1080/14786419.2015.1076817
- Ridolfi R, Cozzolino R, Boscaino F, Malorni L, Canzanella S, Malorni A, Palmieri G, Malorni L AhR (aryl hydrocarbon receptor) polymorphisms: a possible role in TCDD (dioxins) – AhR binding and carcinogenesis. Int.J.Biol., 2014 Vol. 6 Issue 4, 82
- R. Cozzolino, L. De Magistris, P. Saggese, M. Stocchero, A. Martignetti, M. Di Stasio, A. Malorni, R. Marotta, F. Boscaino, L. Malorni (2014) Use of solid-phase microextraction coupled to gas chromatography–mass spectrometry for determination of urinary volatile organic compounds in autistic children compared with healthy controls. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 406, 4649–4662
- F. Boscaino, V. Acierno, P. Saggese, R. Cozzolino, C.M. Motta and A. Sorrentino (2014)Effectiveness of vacuum devices for home storage of rainbow trouts from game fishing lakes. African Journal of Science and Research 2, 16-22 ISSN: 2306-5877
- R. Giacco, B. De Giulio, M. Vitale, R. Cozzolino (2013) Functional Foods: Can Food Technology Help in the Prevention and Treatment of Diabetes? Food and Nutrition Sciences 4, 827-837
- Sorrentino, F. Boscaino, R. Cozzolino, M. G. Volpe, E. Ionata, S. Guerrieo, T. Picariello, F. La Cara (2013) Characterization of Free Volatile Compounds in Fiano Wine Produced by Different Selected Autochthonous Yeasts. Chemical Engineering Transactions 32,1837-1842
- Sorrentino, F. Boscaino, R. Cozzolino, M. G. Volpe, E. Ionata, F. La Cara (2012) Autochthonous Fermentation Starters for the Production of Aglianico Wines. Chemical Engineering Transactions 27, 211-216
- M. Rocco, L. Malorni, R. Cozzolino, G. Palmieri, C. Rozzo, A. Manca, A. Parente, A. Chambery (2011) Proteomic Profiling of Human Melanoma Metastatic Cell Line Secretomes. J. Proteome Res 10, 4703-4714 I.F. 5.460
- R. Cozzolino and B. De Giulio (2011) Application of ESI and MALDI-TOF MS for triacylglycerols analysis in edible oils. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 113, 160–167
- R. Cozzolino, P. Malvagna, E. Spina, A. Giori, N. Fuzzati, A. Anelli, D. Garozzo, G. Impallomeni (2006) Structural analysis of the polysaccharides from Echinacea angustifolia radix. Carbohydrate Polymer. 65, 263
- R. Cozzolino, R. T. Gallagher, T. Drewello (2006) Efficient clustering of cyclic sulphonium salts applying liquid secondary ion mass spectrometry. European Journal of Mass Spectrometry 12, 31
- MG. Mazzone, M. Santocono, M. Perez, A. Messina, R. Cozzolino, L.Sturiale, D. Garozzo (2005) Proteomics of Human Tear Fluids in Healthy and Patological Conditions The Ocular Surface 3, S91
- G. Alberghino, R. Cozzolino, S. Fisichella, D. Garozzo, A. Savarino (2005) Proteomics of gluten: mapping of the 1Bx7 glutenin subunit in Chinese Spring cultivar by matrix- assisted laser desorption/ionization. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 19, 2069
- R. Cozzolino, M. Perez, A. Messina, L. Sturiale, D. Garozzo, M.G. Mazzone, M. Santocono “Proteomic Analysis of Human Tear Fluids in Healthy and Pathological Conditions” 53th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, San Antonio, Texas, 5-9, Giugno, 2005
- R. Cozzolino, S. Passalacqua, S. Salemi, D. Garozzo “Identification of some adulteration in milk and in water buffalo mozzarella cheese by MALDI TOF MS” 51st Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Montreal, Canada, Giugno 2003
- R. Cozzolino, S. Passalacqua, S. Salemi, D. Garozzo (2002) Identification of adulteration in water buffalo mozzarella and in ewe cheese by using whey proteins as biomarkers andmatrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation mass spectrometry. J. Mass Spectrom. 37, 985
- P. Malvagna, G. Impallomeni, R. Cozzolino, E. Spina, D. Garozzo (2002) New results onmatrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation mass spectrometry of widely polydisperse hydrosoluble polymers. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 16, 1599
- P. Malvagna, G. Impallomeni, R. Cozzolino, E. Spina, D. Garozzo “New Results on MALDI MS of Widely Polydisperse Hydrosoluble Polymers” 50th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Orlando, Florida, 2-6 Giugno, 2002
- R. Cozzolino, V. Enea, M.G. Mazzone, D. Garozzo “Identification of High Molecular Mass Proteins in Tear Fluid by MALDI MS” 50th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Orlando, Florida, 2-6 Giugno, 2002
- R. Cozzolino, S. Passalacqua, S. Salemi, P. Malvagna, E. Spina, D. Garozzo (2001) Identification of adulteration in milk by MALDI-TOF MS J. Mass Spectrom. 36, 1031
- R. Cozzolino, S. Di Giorgi, S. Fisichella, D. Garozzo, D. Lafiandra, A. Palermo (2001) Proteomics of gluten: mapping of subunit 1Ax2* in Cheyenne cultivar by matrix-assistedlaser desorption/ionization. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry 15, 1129
- R. Cozzolino, S. Di Giorgi, S. Fisichella, D. Garozzo, D. Lafiandra, A. Palermo (2001) Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometric peptide mapping of high molecular weight glutenin subunits 1Bx7 and 1Dy10 in Cheyenne cultivar. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry 15, 778
- E.Spina, R. Cozzolino, E. Ryan, D. Garozzo (2000) Sequencing of oligosaccharides bycollision-induced dissociation matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. J. Mass Spectrom. 35, 1042
- D. Garozzo, E. Spina, R. Cozzolino, P. Cescutti, W.F. Fett (2000) Studies on the primary structure of short polysaccharide using SEC-MALDI mass spectrometry. Carbohydrate Research 323, 139
- D. Garozzo, R. Cozzolino, S. Di Giorgi, S. Fisichella, D. La Fiandra (1999) Use of hydroxyacetophenones as matrices for the analysis of high molecular weight glutenin mixtures by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry 13, 2084
- R.P. Bonomo, A.M. Boudet, R. Cozzolino, E. Rizzarelli, A.M. Santoro, R. Sterjiades, R. Zappalà (1998) A comparative study of two isoforms of laccase secreted by the “white- rot” fungus Rigidoporus Lignosus, exhibiting significant structural and functional differences Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 71, 205
- A.Amoresano, A. Andolfo, R.A. Siciliano, R. Cozzolino, L. Minchiotti, M. Galliano, P. Pucci (1998) Analysis of Human Serum Albumin variants by mass spectrometry procedures. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1384, 79 (continued as BBA-ProteinsProteom.)
- A.Scaloni, L. Camoni, D. di Giorgio, M. Scortichini, R. Cozzolino, A. Ballio (1997) A new syringopeptin produced by a Pseudomonas Syringae PV. Syringae strain isolated from diseased twigs of laurel. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 51, 259
- R. Cozzolino, O. Belgacem, T. Drewello, L. Kasemberg, R. Herzschuh, S. Suslov, O.V. Boltalina (1997) Laser desorption/ionization of fluorinated fullerenes European Mass Spectrometry 3, 407 (Primo Autore) I.F. 1.167