Professor of Biology
- :(901) 239-0878
Mississippi University for Women
|Post-doctoral training (1984-’87)||Microbiology, Enzymology, Physiology||Dept. Microbiology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL, USA|
|Post-doctoral training (1982-84)||Protein Biochemistry||Dept. Pathology, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA|
|Genetics||Osmania University, Hyderabad, India|
|Genetics, Biochemistry||Osmania University, Hyderabad, India|
|Biology, Chemistry||Osmania University, Hyderabad, India|
Dr. Heda teaches a variety of courses (face-to-face and online) at Mississippi University for Women at Columbus, MS. These courses include, Human Anatomy & Physiology, General Biology, Comparative Anatomy, Senior Seminar, and a special topic course 'Protein Misfolding & Human Diseases'. Dr. Heda also conduct undergraduate research in the area of protein biochemistry, specifically on cystic fibrosis.
Teaching Human Anatomy & Physiology, Comparative Anatomy, Protein Misfolding and Human Diseases. Conduct research with undergraduate students in the area of cystic fibrosis.
- Recipient of Fulbright U.S. Scholarship Grant for teaching and research in India (2018-19).
- Sabbatical Leave from MUW spent at ICRISAT, India (Fall, 2015).
- The 2009 William J. Stickel Award Winner in podiatric medicine research. Awarded by American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) in 2009, for the best original article published in the preceding year in its’ official journal, JAPMA (Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association) (`Role of tissue- type plasminogen activator in salicylic acid-induced sloughing of human corn tissue’).
- Science Advisory Board (www.scienceboard.net) - Steering Committee Member for 2008-’10.
- Rashtriya Ratna Award’ by Friendship Forum of India, New Delhi, India. Award is given annually to the people of Indian origin for achievements in their chosen field. (2002).
- JSPS-NIH Fellowship for research in Japan at Jikei Univ School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan. (Dec. 2-24,2000).
- Invited to IIIrd and IVth consensus meeting towards the “Validation of CFTR Gene Expression and Functional Assays", Cascais, Portugal (2002 and 2003).
- Included in, `Asia/Pacific Who’s Who’ Vol. VI, p. 266, `Afro-Asian Who’s Who’ Vol1, p 156; `Who's Who in America' (South and Southwest) - 24th Edition, p. 382. `Dictionary of International Biography' - 24th Edition (1995-2007).
- Visiting Scientist Fellowship for computer software training in Molecular Biology organized by MBCRR, Dana Farber Cancer Institute & Harvard Medical School, Boston (1987).
- Heda, GD, Omotola OB, Heda RP, Avery-Holder J. Gel electrophoresis buffer but not electrotransfer buffer can be reused for multiple times in western blotting. [Submitted to Journal of Biomolecular Techniques].
- Heda, GD, Kunwar U, Heda RP. A modified protein assay from microgram to low nanogram levels in dilute samples. Anal Biochem, 445C, 67-72, 2014. [This article was used for cover page of the journal]
- Heda, GD and Roberts LK. Role of tissue-type plasminogen activator in salicylic acid-induced sloughing of human corn tissue. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc (JAPMA), 98, 345-352, 2008. [This article won the 2009 William J. Stickel Award in podiatric medicine research].
- Norez C, Heda GD Jensen T. Ilana Kogan I, Hughes LK, Auzanneau C, Dérand R, Bulteau-Pignoux L, Li C, Ramjeesingh M, Li H, Sheppard DN, Bear CE, Riordan JR, Becq F. Determination of CFTR chloride channel activity and pharmacology using radiotracer flux methods. J Cystic Fibrosis, 3, 119-121, 2004.
- Roxo-Rosa M, Davezac N, Bensalem N, Majumdar M, Heda GD, Simas A, Penque D, Amaral MD, Lukacs GL, Edelman A. Proteomics techniques for cystic fibrosis research. J Cystic Fibrosis, 3, 85-89, 2004.
- Farinha, CM, Penque D, Roxo-Rosa M, Lukacs G, Dormer R, McPherson M, Pereira M, Bot AGM, Jorna H, Willemsen R, DeJonge H, Heda GD, et al. Biochemical methods to assess CFTR expression and membrane localization. J Cystic Fibrosis, 3, 73-77, 2004.
- Mendes, F, Farinha M, Roxo-Rosa M, Fanen P, Edelman A, Dormer R, McPherson M, Davidson H, Puchelle E, De Jonge H, Heda GD, et al. Antibodies for CFTR studies. J Cystic Fibrosis, 3, 69-72, 2004.
- Ann E, Farinha CM, Heda GD, Harris A, Amaral MD, Mouchel N. Non-PCR methods for the analysis of CFTR transcripts. J Cystic Fibrosis, 3, 25-28, 2004.
- Anabela S, Ramalho, AS, Beck S, Carlos M. Farinha CM, Clarke LA, Heda GD, Steiner B, Sanz J, Sabina G, Amaral MD, Harris A, Tzetis M. Methods for RNA extraction, cDNA preparation and analysis
- of CFTR transcripts. J Cystic Fibrosis, 3, 11-15, 2004.
- Yoshimura K, Anzai C, Iizuka S, Eto Y, Heda GD. Molecular biological study of action mechanism of macrolide antibiotics on CFTR. Jpn J Antibiot. 2003, 56 Suppl A: 117-20.
- Naren AP, Cobb B., Li C, Roy K, Nelson D, Heda GD, Lion J, Kirk KL, Sorscher EJ, Hanrahan J, Clancy JP, A macromolecular complex of 2 adrenergic receptor, CFTR, and ezrin/radixin/moesin-bindingphosphoprotein 50 is regulated by PKA, Proc of Natl Acad Sci USA, 100(1), 342-346, 2003.
- Heda GD, Tanwani M, Marino CR: The F508 mutation shortens the biochemical half-life of plasma Membrane CFTR in polarized epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 280, C166-C174, 2001.
- Mahan, JT, Heda GD, Rao RH, Mansbach, II CM: The intestine expresses pancreatic triacylglycerol lipase: Regulation by dietary lipid. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol, 280,G1187-G1196, 2001.
- Heda GD and Marino CR: Surface expression of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator
- mutant, F508, is markedly upregulated by combination treatment with sodium butyrate and low temperature. Biochemi Biophysi Res Comm, 271, 659-664, 2000.
- Heda GD, Kehoe KJ, Mahdi F, Schmaier AH: Phosphatase 2A participates in interferon- 's induced upregulation of C1 Inhibitor mRNA expression. Blood, 87, 2831-2838, 1996.
- Schamier, AH, Amenta S, Xiong T, Heda GD, Gewirtz AM: Expression of platelet C1 Inhibitor. Blood, 82,465-474, 1993.
- Heda, GD, Henion TR, Galili U: A simple in vitro site directed mutagenesis of concatamerized cDNA by inverse polymerase chain reaction. Nucleic Acids Research, 20, 5241-5242. 1992.
- Heda GD, Merdente S, Weiner L, Schmaier AH: Gamma interferon increases in vitro and in vivoexpression of C1 Inhibitor. Blood, 75, 2401-2407, 1990.
- Schmaier AH, Murray S, Heda GD, Farber A, Kuo A, McCrae K, Cines DB: Synthesis and expression of C1 Inhibitor by human umbilical vein endothelial cells. J Biol Chem, 264, 18173-18179, 1989.
- Heda GD and Madigan MT: Purification and characterization of the thermal stable ribulose-1,5- bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase from the thermophilic purple bacterium, Chromatium tepidum. Eur J Biochem, 183,313-319, 1989.
- Heda GD and Madigan MT: Thermal properties and oxygenase activity of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphatecarboxylase from the thermophilic purple bacterium, Chromatium tepidum. FEMS Microbiol Lett, 51, 45-50,1988.
- Reddy, MK, Heda GD, Reddy JK: Purification and characterization of -amylase from rat pancreatic acinar carcinoma. Biochem J, 242, 681-687, 1987.
- Heda GD and Madigan MT: Amino acid metabolism and lack of diazotrophy in the thermophilic anoxygenic phototroph Chloroflexus aurantiacus. J Gen Microbiol, 132 (9), pp. 2469-2473, 1986.
- Heda GD and Madigan MT: Aspects of nitrogen fixation in Chlorobium. Arch Microbiol, 143, 330-336,1986.
- Heda GD and Reddy GM: Studies on the inheritance of amylose content and gelatinisation temperature in rice (Oryza sativa L). Genet Agrar, 40 (1), 1-8, 1986.
- Heda GD and Reddy GM: Inheritance studies of morphological and quality characteristics in rice.SABRAO Journal, 16 (2), 153-156, 1984.
- Heda GD and Reddy GM: Studies on protein content and yield levels in rice. Theor Appl Genet, 69 (1), 93- 95, 1984.
- Heda GD and Reddy GM: Genetic analysis of cooking quality of rice. J Cytol Genet, 19, 38-42, 1984.
- Heda GD and Madigan MT: Nitrogen metabolism and N2 fixation in phototrophic green bacteria, In `Green Photosynthetic Bacteria', (JM Olson, JG Ormerod, J Amesz, E Stackebrandt and HG Truper, eds.), 175- 187. Plenum Press, New York, 1988.
- TECHNICAL NOTES:
- Heda, GD: Basic science research during the time of economic turmoil. Online publication by Science Advisory Board; April 2009.
- Heda, GD: Electrophoretic profiles of molecular weight markers – Perspective and analysis, Online publication by Science Advisory Board; March 2006.
- Heda GD: Preventing electronic sealers from radioactive contamination. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology - Red Book Bulletin, Suppl. 47, Summer 1999, Bulletin Board Unit 6.3.
- Heda GD: Optimization of an inverse PCR procedure. Expressions, 3, p.11, 1996.
- Heda GD: Comments on a recently published PCR method for site-directed mutagenesis, BioTechniques, 20, p.880, 1996.
- Heda GD: Cooling molten agarose solutions. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology - Red Book Bulletin, Suppl. 28, Fall 1994, p.4.
- Heda GD: A simplified method of inserting radiolabeled nucleic acid probes into plastic bags.BioTechniques, 9, p.563, 1990.