Professor & Director
Nanoprobe Laboratory for Bio- & Nanotechnology and Biomimetics
Ohio State University
|2011||Doctor Honouris Causa||University of Kragujevac, Serbia|
|2000||Doctor Honouris Causa||Metal-Polymer Research Institute of National Acad. of Sci., Gomel, Belarus.|
|1996||Doctor of Technical Sciences||Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, Poland.|
|1990||Doctor Technicae||University of Trondheim, Trondheim, Norway.|
|1980||M.B.A., Management||Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y.|
Dr Bharat Bhushan is an Ohio Eminent Scholar and The Howard D Winbigler Professor in the Professor in the College of Engineering and the Director of the Nanoprobe Laboratory for Bio Nanotechnology and Biomimetics NLB2 at the Ohio State University Columbus Ohio He holds two MS a PhD in mechanical engineering/mechanics an MBA and three semihonorary and honorary doctorates His research interests include fundamental studies with a focus on scanning probe techniques in the interdisciplinary areas of bio/nanotribology bio/nanomechanics and bio/nanomaterials characterization and applications to bio/nanotechnology and biomimetics He has authored 7 scientific books more than 90 handbook chapters more than 700 scientific papers h index â€“ 48; ISI Highly Cited in Materials Science since 2007 and more than 60 scientific reports edited more than 50 books and holds 17 US and foreign patents He is coeditor of Springer NanoScience and Technology Series and Microsystem Technologies He has organized various international conferences and workshops He is the recipient of numerous prestigious awards and international fellowships including the Alexander von Humboldt Research Prize for Senior Scientists Max Planck Foundation Research Award for Outstanding Foreign Scientists and the Fulbright Senior Scholar Award He is a member of various professional societies including the International Academy of Engineering Russia He has previously worked for various research labs including IBM Almaden Research Center San Jose CA He has held visiting professor appointments at University of California at Berkeley University of Cambridge UK Technical University Vienna Austria University of Paris Orsay ETH Zurich and EPFL Lausanne
Fundamental studies with a focus on scanning probe techniques in the interdisciplinary areas of bio/nanotribology/nanomechanics and nanomaterials characterization in bio/nanotechnology and biomimetics.
Honors And Awards(Selected)
|2000||Pi Tau Sigma & ASME Charles R. Richards Memorial Award to recognize outstanding achievement|
|2004||ASME Robert Henry Thurston Lecture Award for pioneering research in nanotribology andnanomechanics|
|2005||The OSU Research News of the Year - Nature Inspires Nanotech, selected as the coolest science story|
|2014||STLE International Awardfor Outstanding Contributions to Tribology and/or its Related Sciences|
|2015||BITS (Pilani) Distinguished Alumni Award to recognize and honor for bringing laurels to their alma mater|
|1991-Present||Ohio Eminent Scholar and The Howard D. Winbigler Professor and Director ofNanoprobe Laboratory for Bio- & Nanotechnology and Biomimetics (NLB2), Dept. of Mechanical Eng., and Graduate Res. Faculty Advisor, Dept. of Mater. Sci.and Eng., Affiliated Faculty, Battelle Center for Science & Technology Policy, John College of Public Affairs,Ohio State University|
|1986-91||Research Staff Member and Manager Head-Disk Interface, IBM Research Division, Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA|
|1981-86||Development Engineer/Manager, General Products Division Lab, IBM Corporation, Tucson, AZ|
|1980-81||Research Scientist, Technology Services Division, SKF Industries Inc., King of Prussia, PA|
|1976-80||Physical Tribology/Program Manager, R&D Division, Mechanical Technology Inc., Latham, NY|
Archival Journal Papers (800+)
- (h-index – 76+; ISI Highly Cited Researcher in Materials Science since 2007 and in Biology and Biochemistry since 2013; ISI Top 5% Cited Authors in Journals in Chemistry since 2011) ResearcherID: A-9684-2013; ORCID: 0000-0001-7161-6601 (2014-)
- Bixler, G.D. and Bhushan, B., “Rice- and Butterfly-Wing Effect Inspired Self-Cleaning and Low Drag Micro/nanopatterned Surfaces in Water, Oil, and Air Flow,” (Feature Article), Nanoscale 6, 76-96 (2014). Cited in Awake, 95, No. 4, p. 16 (April 2014), www.jw.org; The publication with the second highest worldwide monthly circulation (45 million in 99 languages).
- Bixler, G. D. , Theiss, A., Bhushan, B., and Lee, S. C., “Anti-fouling Properties of Microstructured Surfaces Bio-inspired by Rice Leaves and Butterfly Wings,” (Feature Article), Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 419, 114-133 (2014); Cited in Nature Outlook – Nature 519, S7-S9 (March 26, 2015).
- Sun, J., Ling, M., Wu, W., Bhushan, B., and Tong, J., “The Hydraulic Mechanism of Unfolding of Hind Wings in Dorcus titanus platymelus (Order: Coleoptera), ” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 15, 6009-6018 (2014) doi:10.3390/ijms15046009
- Ye, X., Bhushan, B., Zhou, M., and Lei, W., “The Surface Microstructure of Cusps and Leaflets in Rabbit and Mouse Heart Valves,” Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 5, 622-629 (2014).
- Martin, S. and Bhushan, B., “Fluid Flow Analysis of a Shark-Inspired Microstructure,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 756, 5-29 (2014).
- Pan, Y., Bhushan, B., and Zhao, X., “The Study of Surface Wetting, Nanobubbles and Boundary Slip With an Applied Voltage: A Review,” Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 5, 1042-1065 (2014).
- Bhushan, B. and Schricker, S.R., “A Review of Block Copolymer-Based Biomaterials that Control Protein and Cell Interactions,” (Invited), Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A 102A, 2467-2480. (2014)
- Maharaj, D. and Bhushan, B., “Scale Effects of Nanomechanical Properties and Deformation Behavior of Au Nanoparticles and Thin Film Using Depth Sensing Nanoindentation,” Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 5, 822-836 (2014).
- Maharaj, D. and Bhushan, B., “Nanomanipulation, Nanotribology and Nanomechanics of Au Nanorods in Dry and Liquid Environments Using an AFM and Depth Sensing Nanoindenter,” Nanoscale 6, 5838-5852 2014).
- Yilbas, B.S. and Bhushan, B., “Laser Treatment of Sintered Silicon Nitride Surface for Enhanced Hydrophobicity,” (Invited), JOM 66, 87-94 (2014).
- Yilbas, B. S., Kumar, A., and Bhushan, B., “Single- and Two-layer Coatings of Metal Blends onto Carbon Steel: Mechanical, Wear, and Friction Characterizations,” (Invited), JOM 66, 37-45 (2014).
- Yilbas, B. S., Kumar, A., Bhushan, B., and Abdul Aleem, B. J., “Material, Mechanical, and Tribological Characterization of Laser-Treated Surfaces,” (Invited), Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 23, 1210-1224 (2014).
- Yilbas, B. S., Bhushan, B., Abdul Aleem, B. J., and Gaseem, Z., “Tribology and Superhydrophobicity of Laser-Controlled-Melted Alumina Surfaces with Hard Particles,” (Invited), JOM 66, 1068-1079 (2014).
- Ramdon, S. and Bhushan, B., “Nanomechanical Characterization and Mechanical Integrity of Unaged and Aged Li-ion Battery Cathodes,” Journal of Power Sources 246, 219-224 (2014).
- Ramdon, S., Bhushan, B., and Nagpure, S. C., “In Situ Electrochemical Studies of Lithium-ion Battery Cathodes using Atomic Force Microscopy,” Journal of Power Sources 249, 373-384 (2014). 10
- Demirocak, D. E. and Bhushan, B., “In situ Atomic Force Microscopy Analysis of Morphology and Particle Size Changes in Lithium Iron Phosphate Cathode During Discharge,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 423, 151-157 (2014).
- Bhushan, B., “Perspective: Science and Technology Policy – What is at Stake and Why Should Scientists Participate?,” (Invited), Science and Public Policy 2015; doi:10.1093/scipol/scv005
- Bhushan, B., “Laboratories of Policy,” (Invited), Mechanical Engineering - ASME 137 (6), 44-47 (2015)
- Bhushan, B., “Science and Tech Policy Needs Scientists’ Input,” Physics Today 68 (8), 8-10 (2015).
- Bhushan, B., “How STEM Disciplines Impact Economic Growth and Influence National Policy,” Tribology & Lubrication Technology, 20-22 (April 2015).
- Bhushan, B., “Governance, Policy, and Legislation of Nanotechnology: A Perspective,” (Invited), Microsystem Technologies 21, 1137-1155 (2015).
- Bixler, G. D. and Bhushan, B., “Rice- and Butterfly-Wing Effect Inspired Low Drag and Antifouling Surfaces: A Review,” (Invited), Critical Reviews in Solid State and Materials Sciences 40, 1-37 (2015).
- Wang, Y. and Bhushan, B., “Wear-Resistant and Antismudge Superoleophobic Coating on Polyethylene Terephthalate Substrate Using SiO2 Nanoparticles,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7, 743-755 (2015).
- Brown, P. S. and Bhushan, B, “Mechanically Durable, Superoleophobic Coatings Prepared by Layer-byLayer Technique for Anti-smudge and Oil–water Separation,” Scientific Reports - Nature 5, 8701 (2015).
- Brown, P. S. and Bhushan, B., “Mechanically Durable, Superomniphobic Coatings Prepared by Layer-byLayer Technique for Self-cleaning and Anti-smudge,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 456, 210-218 (2015).
- Brown, P. S. and Bhushan, B., “Bioinspired, Roughness-Induced, Water and Oil Super-philic and Superphobic Coatings Prepared by Adaptable layer-by-Layer Technique,” Scientific Reports – Nature 5, 14030 (2015).
- Brown, P.S. and Bhushan, B., “Designing Bioinspired Superoleophobic Surfaces,” APL Materials.
- Brown, P.S. and Bhushan, B., “Durable, Superoleophobic Polymer-nanoparticle Composite Surfaces with Reentrant Geometry via Solvent-induced Phase Transformation,” submitted.
- Peng, S. and Bhushan, B., “Mechanically Durable Superoleophobic Aluminum Surfaces with Microstep and Nanoreticula Hierarchical Structure for Self-Cleaning and Anti-smudge Properties,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (in press).
- Martin, S. and Bhushan, B. Fluid Flow Analysis of Continuous and Segmented Riblet Structures,” submitted
- Maharaj, D. and Bhushan, B., “Friction, Wear and Mechanical Behavior of Nano-objects on the Nanoscale,” Materials Science and Engineering R 95, 1-43 (2015).
- Maharaj, D. and Bhushan, B., “Nanomechanical Behavior of MoS2 and WS2 Nanotubes and Carbon Nanohorns,” Scientific Reports - Nature 5, 8539 (2015).
- Maharaj, D. and Bhushan, B., “Characterization of Nanofriction of MoS2 and WS2 Nanotubes,” Materials Letters 142, 207-210 (2015).
- Li, Y. and Bhushan, B., “The Effect of Surface Charge on The Boundary Slip of Various Oleophilic/phobic Surfaces Immersed in Liquids,” Soft Matter 11, 7680-7695 (2015).
- Jing, D. and Bhushan, B., “Electroviscous Effect on Fluid Drag in a Microchannel with Large Zeta Potential,” submitted.
- Jing, D. and Bhushan, B., “The Coupling of Surface Charge and Boundary Slip at the Solid-liquid Interface and Their Combined Effect on Fluid Drag: a Review,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 454, 152-179 (2015).
- Magdi, H. M. and Bhushan, B., “Extracellular Biosynthesis and Characterization of Gold Nanoparticles using the Fungus Penicillium Chrysogenum,” Microsystem Technologies 21, 2279-2285 (2015). 11
- Demirocak, D. E. and Bhushan, B., “Probing the Aging Effects on Nanomechanical Properties of a LiFePO4 Cathode in a Large Format Prismatic Cell,” Journal of Power Sources 280, 256-262 (2015).
- Kumar, A. and Bhushan, B., “Nanomechanical, Nanotribological and Macrotribological Characterization of Hard Coatings and Surface Treatment of H-13 Steel,” Tribology International 81, 149-158 (2015).
- Li, S. and Bhushan, B., “Tribological Performance and Lubrication Mechanisms of Mg/Al-, Zn/Al- and Zn/Mg/Al-layered Double Hydroxide Nanoparticles as Lubricant Additives,” submitted.
- Yilbas, B. S., Bhushan, B., Abdul Aleem, B. J. and Askandarani, A. A., “Coatings by Arc Spraying of Nanocrystalline Metallic Wires on Carbon Steel Surfaces: Surface Hardness, Hydrophobicity, and Residual Stress,” Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly ( in press).
- Cho, D., Bhushan, B. and Dyess, J., “Mechanisms of Static and Kinetic Friction of Polypropylene, Polyethylene Terephthalate, and High-density Polyethylene Pairs during Sliding,” Tribology International 94, 165-175 (2016).
- Cho, D. and Bhushan, B., “Nanofriction and Nanowear of Polypropylene, Polyethylene Terephthalate, and High-density Polyethylene During Sliding,” submitted.