Research Assistant Professor
- :(852) 3411 2253
Department of Chemistry
Hong Kong Baptist University,
|8/1992-5/1998||The University of Oklahoma, USA, Ph.D.Department of Zoology|
|9/1989-7/1992||The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, M.Ph.Department of Biology|
|9/1984-7/1989||The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, B.Sc. Department of Chemistry|
His research area focuses on nuclear receptors in different biological functions. During his Ph. D. study, he characterized ecdysteroid receptors during the growth and regeneration in crabs. In Baylor College of Medicine,he employed genetic and molecular approachesto study the role of nuclear receptor duringaxis formation, germ cell and brain development. He also used a mouse model to investigate the role of nuclear receptor coactivator in prostate cancer progression. For the work in Hong Kong since 2006, he investigated the downstream mediators of TGF-β signaling in kidney diseases. Since 2014, his research focuses on how persistent organic pollutants (POPs) affect human health and determine their effects on chronic diseases via cell culture and animal models.
Persistent organic pollutants (POP), TGF-β signaling pathway, diabetes, renal diseases.
Summary of Major Work Undertaken
|Period||Nature of Research||Publication||Grant Record (as PI)|
(RAP in HKBU)
|Effect of pollutant on kidney diseases||1 papers|| 1 GRF from RGC;
1 General Program, NFSC;
(RAP in CUHK)
|The TGF-beta signaling in kidney diseases|| 25 papers
(5 in JASN – Top rank journal in nephrology) + 8 review papers
| 3 GRF from RGC;
1 General Program, NFSC;
1 General Program-Shenzhen;
4 direct grants, CUHK;
1 research grant, HKSN
(RAP in HKU)
|The TGF-beta signaling in kidney diseases|| 4 papers
(1 in JASN)
| 1 GRF from RGC;
2 seed funding, HKU;
(Postdoc & Instructor)
|Characterization of the role of nuclear receptor and its co-activator in embryonic and cancer development|| 9 papers
+ 3 review papers
| Postdoctoral Traineeship;
Career Development Grant
(Ph D study)
|Characterization of the crustacean nuclear receptor||5 papers|
|Reproductive biology of shrimps||2 papers|
|Reagents for reductive dehalogenation of aryl halides||1 paper|
- Zhou Q*, Chung AC*, Huang XR, Dong Y, Yu X, Lan HY. Identification of Novel Long Noncoding RNAs Associated with TGF-β/Smad3-Mediated Renal Inflammation and Fibrosis by RNA Sequencing. American Journal of Pathology.184, 409-172014(IF:4.522)
- Yan YM*, Ai J*, Zhou LL*, Chung AC*, Li R, Nie J, Cheng YX. Lingzhiols, Unprecedented Rotary Door-Shaped Meroterpenoids as Potent and Selective Inhibitors of p-Smad3 from Ganodermalucidum. Organic Letters,15, 5488-5491,2013.(IF:6.142)
- Chung AC, Zhang H, Kong YZ, Tan JJ, Huang XR, Kopp JB, Lan HY. Advanced glycation end-products induce tubular CTGF via TGF-beta-independent Smad3 signaling. Journal of American Society of Nephrology (JASN),21, 249-60, 2010. (IF: 8.987)
- Chung AC, Huang XR, Meng, XM,Lan HY.miR-192 mediates TGF-β/Smad3- driven renal fibrosis.Journal of American Society of Nephrology. 21, 1317-25, 2010.(IF: 8.987)
- Chung AC, Huang XR, Zhou L, Heuchel R, Lai KN, Lan HY.Disruption of the Smad7 gene promotes renal fibrosis and inflammation in unilateral ureteral obstruction in mice. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, 24,1443-54, 2009. (IF:3.371)
* These authors are equally contributed.
As the Corresponding Author
- Li R*, Chung AC*, #,Dong Y,Zhong X, Lan HY. miR-433promotes Renal Fibrosis by targeting the TGF-b/Smad3-Azin1 Pathway.Kidney International,84, 1129-44, 2013.(IF 7.916)Commented by Kato M. TGF-β-induced signaling circuit loops mediated by microRNAs as new therapeutic targets for renal fibrosis? Kidney International 84, 1067–1069; 2013.
- Zhong X*, Chung AC*, #, Chen H, Meng X, Lan HY. Smad3-mediated upregulation of miR-21 promotes renal fibrosis. Journal of American Society of Nephrology, 22, 1668-81,2011. (IF: 8.987). Commented byEddy AA. The TGF-beta route to renal fibrosis is not linear: The miR-21 Viaduct. Journal of American Society of Nephrology, 22, 1573-5, 2011.
- Chung AC#, Dong Y, Yang W, Zhong X, Li R, Lan HY. Smad7 suppresses renal fibrosis via altering expression of TGF-β/Smad3-regulated microRNAs. Molecular Therapy,21(2):388-98,2013.(IF: 7.041)
- Zhong X, Chung AC#, Chen H, Dong Y, Meng X, Li R, Yang W, Lan HY. MiR-21 Is a Key Mediator in Diabetic Nephropathy in db/db Mice and in Vitro under Diabetic Condition. Diabetologia. 56, 663-74,2013.(IF 6.487)
#corresponding author,* These authors are equally contributed.
As the Co-author
- Zhang Y, Huang XR, Wei LH, Chung AC, Yu CM, Lan HY. miR-29b as a therapeutic agent for angiotensin II-induced cardiac fibrosis by blocking TGF-β/Smad3 pathway Molecular Therapy, 22(5):974-985,2014(IF: 7.041)
- Chen HY, Zhong X, Huang XR, Meng XM, You Y, Chung AC, Lan HY.MicroRNA-29b Inhibits Diabetic Nephropathy in db/db Mice.Molecular Therapy, 22, 842-53,2014(IF: 7.041)
- Tang Y, Huang XR, Lv J, Chung AC, Zhang Y, Chen JZ, Szalai AJ, Xu A, Lan HY. C-reactive protein promotes acute kidney injury by impairing the G1/S-dependent tubular epithelial cell regeneration.ClinicalSciences(Lond).126, 645-59, 2014 (IF 4.859)
- Meng X, Huang XR, Chen H, Zhong X,Chung AC, Lan HY. TGF-β receptor II determines the diverse role of TGF-b1 in renal fibrosis and inflammation in vivo and in vitro. Journal of Pathology, 227, 175-88, 2012.(IF:7.585)
- Xiao J, Meng XM, Huang XR,Chung AC, Feng YL, Lan HY.miR-29 is regulated by TGF-β/Smad3 and has therapeutic potential for bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice. Molecular Therapy,20, 1251-60, 2012. (IF: 7.041)
- Qin W, Chung AC, Huang XR, Meng XM, Hui DSC, Yu CM, Sung JJY, Lan HY. TGF-β/Smad3 signaling promotes renal fibrosis by inhibiting miR-29. Journal of American Society of Nephrology, 22, 1462-74, 2011.(IF: 8.987)
- Li Z, Chung AC, Zhou L, Huang XR, Liu F, Fu P, Fan JM, Szalai AJ, Lan HY. C-reactive protein promotes acute renal inflammation and fibrosis in unilateral ureteral obstructive nephropathy in mice. Laboratory Investigation, 91, 837-51, 2011. (IF:3.961)
- Liu F, Chen HY, Huang XR, Chung AC, Zhou L, Fu P, Szalai A, Lan HY. C-reactive protein promotes diabetic kidney disease in a mouse model of type 1 diabetes. Diabetologia, 54, 2713-23,2011. (IF 6.487)
- Meng X, Huang XR, Xiao J, Chung AC, Qin W, Chen H, Lan HY. Disrupted Smad4 impairs TGF-β/Smad3 and Smad7 transcriptional regulation in renal inflammation and fibrosis in vivo and in vitro, Kidney International, 81, 266-279, 2011. (IF 7.916)
- Zhou L, Liu F, Huang XR, Chen H, Chung AC, Shi J, Wei L, Lan HY, Fu P.Amelioration of albuminiuria in ROCK1 knockout mice with STZ-induced diabetic kidney disease. American Journal of Nephrology, 34, 468-475, 2011. (IF 2.623)
- Chen H, Huang XR, Wang W, Li J, Heuchel RL, Chung AC, Lan HY. The Protective Role of Smad7 in Diabetic Kidney Disease: Mechanism and Therapeutic Potential.Diabetes, 60, 590-601, 2011. (IF 7.895)
- Huang XR, Chung AC, Yang F, Yue W, Deng C, Lau C P, Tse HF, Lan HY. Smad3 Mediates Cardiac Inflammation and Fibrosis in Angiotensin II-Induced Hypertensive Cardiac Remodeling. Hypertension, 55, 1165-71, 2010. (IF:6.873)
- Meng XM, Huang XR, Chung AC, Ju W, Bottinger EP, Shao X, Igarashi P, Lan HY. Smad2 protects against TGF-b/Smad3-mediated extracellular matrix production and tissue fibrosis in vitro and in vivo. Journal of American Society of Nephrology, 21, 1477-87,2010. (IF: 8.987)
- Yang F, Huang XR, Chung AC, Hou, CC, Lai, KN, Lan HY. Essential Role for Smad3 in Angiotensin II-induced Tubular Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition. Journal of Pathology, 221, 390-401, 2010. (IF:7.585)
- Zhou L, Fu P, Huang XR, Liu F, Chung AC, Lai KN, Lan HY. Mechanism of chronic aristolochic acid nephropathy: role of Smad3. American Journal of Physiology. Renal Physiology, 298, F1006-17, 2010. (IF:3.612)
- Zhang R, Zhang YY, Huang XR, Wu Y, Chung AC, Wu EX, Szalai AJ, Wong BC, Lau CP, Lan HY. C-reactive protein promotes cardiac fibrosis and inflammation in angiotensin II-induced hypertensive cardiac disease. Hypertension,55, 953-60, 2010. (IF:6.873)
- Yang F, Chung AC, Huang XR, Lan HY. Angiotensin II induces connective tissue growth factor and collagen I expression via transforming growth factor-beta-dependent and -independent Smad pathways: the role of Smad3. Hypertension,54, 877-84, 2009. (IF:6.873)
- Huang XR, Chung AC, Zhou L, Wang XJ, Lan HY. Latent TGF-beta1 protects against crescentic glomerulonephritis. Journal of American Society of Nephrology,19, 233-42, 2008. (IF: 8.987)
- Huang XR, Chung AC, Wang XJ, Lai KN, Lan HY, Mice Overexpressing Latent TGF-b1 Are Protected against Renal Fibrosis in Obstructive Kidney Disease. American Journal of Physiology. Renal physiology, 295, F118-27, 2008. (IF:3.612)
- Koka V, Huang XR, Chung AC, Wang W, Truong LD, Lan HY. Angiotensin II Up-Regulates Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme (ACE), but Down-Regulates ACE2 via the AT1-ERK/p38 MAP Kinase Pathway. American Journal of Pathology,172, 1174-83,2008. (IF:4.522)
- Gu P, Xu X, LeMenuet D, Chung AC, Cooney AJ.Differential Recruitment of Methyl CpG-Binding Domain Factors and DNA Methyltransferases by the Orphan Receptor Germ Cell Nuclear Factor Initiates the Repression and Silencing of Oct4. Stem Cells, 29, 1041-51, 2011. (IF:7.701)
- Lan ZJ, Xu X, Chung AC, Cooney AJ. Extra-Germ Cell Expression of Germ Cell Nuclear Factor, Biology of Reproduction, 80, 905-12, 2009.(IF:4.027)
- Chung AC, Zhou S, Liao L, Tien JC, Greenberg NM, Xu J. Genetic ablation of the amplified-in-breast cancer 1 inhibits spontaneous prostate cancer progression in mice. Cancer Research, 67, 5965-5975, 2007. (IF:8.650)
- Chung AC, Xu X, Niederreither KA, Cooney AJ. Loss of orphan nuclear receptor GCNF function disrupts forebrain development and the establishment of the isthmic organizer. Developmental Biology, Developmental Biology, 293, 13-24, 2006. (IF: 3.68)
- Gu P, Goodwin B, Chung AC, Xu X, Wheeler DA, Pric, RR, Galardi C, Peng L, Latour AM, Koller BH, Gossen J, Kliewe, SA, Cooney AJ. Orphan nuclear receptor LRH-1 is required to maintain Oct4 expression at the epiblast stage of embryonic development. Molecular & Cellular Biology, 25, 3492-3505, 2005. (IF:5.372)
- Gu P., LeMenuet D., Chung AC, Mancini M, Wheeler DA, Cooney AJ. Orphan nuclear receptor GCNF is required for the repression of pluripotency genes during retinoic acid-induced embryonic stem cell differentiation. Molecular & Cellular Biology, 25, 8507-8519, 2005. (IF:5.372)
- Durica DS, Wu X, Anilkumar G, Hopkins PM, Chung AC.Characterization of Crab EcR and RXR Homologs and Expression during Limb Regeneration and Oocyte Maturation. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 189, 59-77, 2002. (IF:4.039)
- Lan ZJ, Chung AC, Xu X, DeMayo FJ, Cooney AJ. The embryonic function of Germ Cell Nuclear Factor is dependent on the DNA binding domain. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 277, 50660-50667, 2002. (IF4.651)
- Chung AC*, Katz D*, Pereira FA, Jackson KJ, DeMayo FJ, Cooney AJ, O'Malley BW. Loss of orphan receptor germ cell nuclear factor function results in ectopic development of the tail bud and a novel posterior truncation. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 21, 663-677, 2001. *These authors are equally contributed. (IF:5.372)
- Fuhrmann G*, Chung AC*, Jackson KJ, Hummelke G, Baniahmad A, Sutter J, Sylvester I, Schöler HR, Cooney AJ. Mouse Germline Restriction of Oct4 Expression by Germ Cell Nuclear Factor. Developmental Cell, 1, 377-387, 2001. *These authors are equally contributed. (IF: 12.861).Commented byDonovan PJ. News and views: High Oct-ane fuel powers the stem cells. Nature Genetics, 29, 246-247, 2001.
- Hopkins PM, Chung AC, Durica DS. Limb regeneration in the fiddler crab, Ucapugilator: Histological, physiological and molecular considerations. American Zoologist(Now called Integrative and Comparative Biology), 39, 513-527, 1999. (IF:3.023)
- Durica DS, Chung AC, Hopkins PM. Characterization of EcR and RXR gene homologs and receptor expression during the molt cycle in the crab, Ucapugilator. American Zoologist, (Now called Integrative and Comparative Biology), 39, 758-774, 1999. (IF:3.023)
- Chung AC, Durica DS, Hopkins PM. Cloning of crustacean EcR and RXR gene homologs and elevation of RXR mRNA by retinoic acid. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 139, 209-227, 1998. (IF:4.039)
- Chung AC, Durica DS, Hopkins PM. Tissue-specific patterns and steady-state concentrations of ecdysteroids receptor and retinoid-X-receptor mRNA during the molt cycle of the fiddler crab, Ucapugilator. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 109, 375‑389, 1998. (IF:2.823)
Hong Kong 1988-1994
- Chu KH, Tam YK, Chung CK, Ng WL. Morphometric relationships and reproductive maturation of the shrimp, Metapenaeusensis from commercial catches in Hong Kong. Fisheries Research, 18, 187-197, 1993. (IF:1.695)
- Chung CK, Chu KH, Yung KH. Changes in lipid composition of the shrimp, Metapenaeusensis, during ovarian maturation in The Third Asian Fisheries Forum. (Chou LM, Munro AD, Lam TL, Chen TW, Cheong KK., Ding JK, Hooi KK, Khoo HW, Phang VPE, Shim KF, and Tan CH. (eds.) Asian Fisheries Society, Manila, pp. 924-927, 1994.
- Chung CK, Ho MS, Lun KS, Wong MO, Wong HNC, Tam SW. Zinc-silver couple: A mild and convenient reagent for reductive dehalogenation of aryl halides. Synthetic Communications, 18, 507-510, 1988. (IF:1.060)
Publications: (Book Chapter And Review Papers)
(1) Hong Kong 2006-Present
- Chung AC, Lan HY. MicroRNAs in renal fibrosis. Frontiers in physiology.20;6:50, 2015.
- Li R, Chung AC #, Yu X, Lan HY.MicroRNAs in diabetic kidney disease.International Journal of Endocrinology,2014:593956, 2014.#corresponding author.(IF:2.518)
- Chung AC, Lan HY.Molecular mechanisms of TGF-b signaling in renal fibrosis.Current Pathobiology Reports, 1, 291-299, 2013.
- Chung AC, Yu X, Lan HY.MicroRNA and nephropathy: emerging concepts. International Journal of Nephrology and Renovascular Disease.6, 169-179,2013.
- Li R, Lan HY,Chung AC #.Distinct roles of Smads and microRNAs in TGF-β signaling during kidney diseases.The Hong Kong Journal of Nephrology, 15, 14-21. 2013. #corresponding author.
- Meng X, Chung AC,Lan HY. The role of TGF-β/BMP-7/Smad pathways in renal diseases. Clinical Sciences, 124, 243-54, 2013. (IF 4.859)