- : 614-685-4606
Department of Surgery
College of Medicine, The Ohio State University
|M. D.||Medicine and Stomatology, Jiangxi Medical College, China, 1991|
|M. S.||Tumor Immunology, Jiangxi Medical College, China, 1994|
|Ph. D.||Tumor Immunobiology, Hunan Medical University, China, 1997|
Highlight Of Qualifications
- 20-year experiences in tumor immunology, oncology and cancer immunotherapy and diagnosis using monoclonal antibody, phage display antibody and recombinant factor VII/IgG1 Fc (Icon) immunoconjugates
- 15-year experiences in molecular biology, adenoviral gene therapy for cancer and 10-year experiences in targeted photodynamic therapy for cancer and macular degeneration
- Principal Investigator and Research Associate Professor (Research Scientist) of a research laboratory at Yale School of Medicine during 2002-2012
- Recipient and Principal Investigator of four independent research grants from Komen For the Cure Foundation, Connecticut State Department of Public Health, Breast Cancer Alliance and Swebilius Foundation/Yale Cancer Center
- 7-year experiences as Scientific Advisor for Iconic Therapeutics, a Yale startup biotech company
- Co-inventor of 5 US Patents and 4 international patents of neovascular-targeted immunoconjugates (ICON) and their uses (for treatment of cancer, macular degeneration, rheumatoid arthritis, atherosclerosis, etc)
- Serving as the Editor-in-Chief of Open Journal of Immunology, Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Analytical & Bioanalytical Techniques, an editorial board member of numerous peer-reviewed journals in immunology and cancer research and as peer reviewer for peer-reviewed journals in immunology, photomedicine and cancer research
- Served as Co-Principal Investigator on an Investigator IND for Phase I clinical trial of the use of replication-deficient adenoviral vector encoding a novel immunoconjugate (Icon) composed of coagulation active site-mutated factor VII fused to the constant domain of immunoglobulin G (IgG Fc) for immunotherapy of patients with melanoma
- Extensive experience with primary immune cells of human and rodent origins, in vitro and in vivo preclinical studies on efficacy and safety of translational cancer research
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong interpersonal skills and presentation skills as well as a robust publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Innovative, strong logical and analytical thinking skills and experiences in discovery and development of targeted cancer therapies
- A team player
Dr. Zhiwei Hu is an associate professor of The Ohio State University College of Medicine and the James Comprehensive Cancer Center. Dr. Hu’s research interest and expertise includes tumor immunology, tumor angiogenesis, immunotherapy, adenovirus-based gene therapy and photodynamic therapy. Dr. Hu is one of first scientists who proposed to target both the tumor cells and tumor neovasculature for development of more effective treatment for cancer. Subsequently he co-inventedICON immunoconjugatesand factor VII-conjugated photosensitizers for neovascular-targeting immunotherapy and photodynamic therapyfor thetreatment of cancer, aged-related macular degeneration (AMD) and/or endometriosis in preclinical and early phase clinical trials.Dr. Hu's research interests focus on developing and translating novel therapeutics by dual targeting of tumor cells and tumor neovasculaturefor the treatment of cancer.
|11/2012-||Research Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH|
|12/2012-||Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, Yale University|
|10/2007-6/2012||Research Scientist (Research Associate Professor), Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, Yale University|
|7/2002-9/2007||Research Scientist (Research Associate Professor), Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University|
|2008-||Adjunct Professor of Nanchang University School of Medicine, China|
|2005-||Adjunct Professor of West China Clinical Medical School of Sichuan University, Chengdu, China|
|4/2000-6/2002||Associate Research Scientist (Research Assistant Professor), Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University|
|1/1998-4/2000||Visiting scholar/Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University|
Assistant professor and lecturer of Oncology, Immunology, and Pathophysiology, Cancer Research Institute, Hunan Medical University, Changsha, China
In a brief summary, I have been mentoring one visiting scholar, one Master degree graduate student, one MD/PhD graduate student and two senior undergraduate students at OSU since I joined OSU faculty in November 2012. Prior to my current position, I had trained five postdoctoral associates, two research technicians, four visiting professor/associate professor/research scientists, ten undergraduates and seven high school students in my laboratory at Yale University during 2002-2012.
|September 2014:||Mentoring an OSU undergraduate senior student (Shengjia Gao) for the course of research for credit (Biochem 4998).|
|May 2014-:||Mentoring an OSU graduate student (Meghan Flannery) on Master degree thesis research|
|Feb 2014-:||Mentoring a Visiting Scholar (Dr. Qikun Zhang) from China on targeted nanoparticles for delivery of tumor-targeting therapeutic and diagnostic agents|
|Jan 2014-:||Continuing Co-Mentoring one MD/PhD graduate student (Amanda Harper) with Dr. William Carson III in the Department of Surgery of OSUMC|
|May 2013-:||Co-Mentoring one MD/PhD graduate student (Amanda Harper) with Dr. William Carson III in the Department of Surgery of OSUMC.|
|July 2013-:||Mentoring two senior OSU undergraduate students (Zi Li and Shengjia Gao) as lab assistants working in my laboratory.|
|Summer 2013:||Mentoring a high school senior student as a volunteer on cancer research.|
|Summer 2011:||Supervisor for a high school student sponsored by the Discovery to Cure Program in the Department of Ob/Gyn of Yale University and a medical student from National Yang-Ming Medical School in Taiwan, China.|
|Spring 2011:||Supervisor for a Yale undergraduate student for Research for Credit Course of Yale Dept. Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry.|
|Summer 2009:||Mentor for a high school student in the Discovery to Cure Internship Program in the Department of Ob/Gyn of Yale University.|
|Summer 2008:||Mentor for a high school student in the Discovery to Cure Internship Program in the Department of Ob/Gyn of Yale University.|
|Summer 2008:||Mentor for two high school students in the 22nd year of the Bristol-Myers Squibb Summer Science Internship Program under the sponsorship of the Yale Cancer Center.|
|Summer 2007:||Mentor for a high school senior student in the 21st year of the Bristol-Myers Squibb Summer Science Internship Program under the sponsorship of the Yale Cancer Center.|
|Spring 2007:||Advisor on Yale senior undergraduate student on the role of tissue factor on tumor angiogenesis.|
|Summer 2006:||Mentor for one undergraduate student in the 2006 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program under the sponsorship of the Yale Graduate School.|
|Spring 2006:||Advisor on two Yale College undergraduates’ studies on Icon-mediated therapies and tumor angiogenesis.|
|Fall, 2005:||Advisor on three Yale College undergraduates’ studies on Icon-targeted photodynamic therapy for cancer, tumor angiogenesis, and Icon protein purification and detection.|
|Spring, 2005:||Advisor on a Yale College undergraduate’s study on Icon-targeted photodynamic therapy for cancer.|
|Spring, 1996:||Lecturer of nursing students in Pathology course at the First Nursing School of Hunan, Changsha, China|
|Spring, 1996:||Lecturer of Master’s degree students in Tumor Immunology in Advanced Pathophysiology course at Hunan Medical University, Changsha, China|
|Fall, 1993:||Graduate student for Master’s degree as Teaching Assistant to teach the 2nd year medical students on examining experimental renal dysfunction in a rabbit model in the Department of Pathophysiology at Jiangxi Medical College, Nanchang, China|
Peer-reviewed original research papers (*: corresponding author)
- Zhiwei Hu*, Samira A. Brooks, Valérian Dormoy, Chia-Wen Hsu, Hsue-Yin Hsu, Liang-Tzung Lin, Thierry Massfelder, W. Kimryn Rathmell, Menghang Xia, Fahd Al-Mulla, Rabeah Al-Temaimi, Amedeo Amedei, Dustin Brown, Kalan R Prudhomme, Annamaria Colacci, Roslida A. Hamid, Chiara Mondello, Jayadev Raju, Elizabeth Ryan, Jordan Woodrick, Ivana Scovassi, Neetu Singh, Monica Vaccari, Rabindra Roy, Stefano Forte, Lorenzo Memeo, Hosni K. Salem, Leroy Lowe, Lasse Jensen, William H. Bisson, Nicole Kleinstreuer. Assessing the Carcinogenic Potential of Low Dose Exposures to Chemical Mixtures in the Environment: Focus on the Cancer Hallmark of Tumor Angiogenesis. Carcinogenesis. In press. (Accepted 12/15/14).
- William H. Goodson III1**, Leroy Lowe2**, David O. Carpenter3, Michael Gilbertson4, Abdul Manaf Ali5, Adela Lopez de Cerain Salsamendi6, Ahmed Lasfar7, Amancio Carnero8, Amaya Azqueta6, Amedeo Amedei9, Amelia K Charles10, Andrew R. Collins11, Andrew Ward12, Anna C. Salzberg13, Annamaria Colacci14, Ann-Karin Olsen15, Arthur Berg13, Barry J Barclay16, Binhua P. Zhou17, Carmen Blanco-Aparicio18, Carolyn Baglole19, Chenfang Dong17, Chiara Mondello20, Chia-Wen Hsu21, Christian C. Naus22, Clement Yedjou23, Colleen S. Curran24, Dale W. Laird25, Daniel C. Koch26, Danielle J. Carlin27, Dean W. Felsher28, Debasish Roy29, Dustin Brown30, Edward Ratovitski31, Elizabeth Ryan30, Emanuela Corsini32, Emilio Rojas33, Eun-Yi Moon34, Ezio Laconi35, Fabio Marongiu35, Fahd Al-Mulla36, Ferdinando Chiaradonna37,38, Firouz Darroudi39, Francis L. Martin40, Frederik J. Van Schooten41, Gary S. Goldberg42, Gerard Wagemaker43, Gladys Nangami44, Glenn Rice45, Gloria M. Calaf46,47, Graeme Williams48, Gregory T. Wolf49, Gudrun Koppen50, Gunnar Brunborg15, H. Kim Lyerly51, Harini Krishnan42, Hasiah Ab Hamid52, Hemad Yasaei53, Hideko Sone54, Hiroshi Kondoh55, Hosni K. Salem56, Hsue-Yin Hsu57, Hyun Ho Park58, Igor Koturbash59, Isabelle R. Miousse59, Ivana Scovassi20, James E Klaunig60, Jan Vondráček61, Jayadev Raju62, Jesse Roman63, 142, John Pierce Wise Sr.64, Jonathan R Whitfield65, Jordan Woodrick66, Joseph Christopher67, Josiah Ochieng44, Juan Fernando Martinez-Leal68, Judith Weisz69, Julia Kravchenko51, Jun Sun70, Kalan R Prudhomme71, Kannan Badri Narayanan72, Karine A. Cohen-Solal73, Kim Moorwood12, Laetitia Gonzalez74, Laura Soucek65,143, Le Jian75, 81, Leandro S. D’Abronzo76, Liang-Tzung Lin77, Lin Li78, Linda Gulliver79, Lisa J. McCawley80, Lorenzo Memeo82, Louis Vermeulen83, Luc Leyns74, Luoping Zhang84, Mahara Valverde33, Mahin Khatami85, Maria Fiammetta Romano86, Marion Chapellier87, Marc A.Williams88, Mark Wade89, Masoud H. Manjili90, Matilde Lleonart91, Menghang Xia21, Michael J Gonzalez92, Michalis V. Karamouzis93, Micheline Kirsch-Volders74, Monica Vaccari14, Nancy B. Kuemmerle94,95, Neetu Singh96, Nichola Cruickshanks97, Nicole Kleinstreuer98, Nik van Larebeke99, Nuzhat Ahmed100, Olugbemiga Ogunkua44, P.K. Krishnakumar101, Pankaj Vadgama102, Paola A. Marignani103, Paramita M. Ghosh76, Patricia Ostrosky-Wegman33, Patricia Thompson104, Paul Dent97, Petr Heneberg105, Philippa Darbre106, Po Sing Leung78, Pratima Nangia-Makker107, Qiang (Shawn) Cheng108, R. Brooks Robey94,95, Rabeah Al-Temaimi109, Rabindra Roy66, Rafaela Andrade-Vieira103, Ranjeet Kumar Sinha110, Rekha Mehta62, Renza Vento111,112, Riccardo Di Fiore111, Richard Ponce-Cusi113, Rita Dornetshuber-Fleiss114,115, Rita Nahta116, Robert C. Castellino117, 118, Roberta Palorini37,38, Roslida Abd Hamid52, Sabine A.S. Langie50, Sakina Eltom44, Samira A. Brooks119, Sandra Ryeom120, Sandra S. Wise64, Sarah N. Bay121, Shelley Harris122,123, Silvana Papagerakis49, Simona Romano86, Sofia Pavanello124, Staffan Eriksson125, Stefano Forte82, Stephanie C. Casey26, Sudjit Luanpitpong126, Tae-Jin Lee72, Takemi Otsuki127, Tao Chen128, Thierry Massfelder129, Thomas Sanderson130, Tiziana Guarnieri131,140,141, Tove Hultman132, Valérian Dormoy129,133, Valerie Odero-Marah134, Venkata Sabbisetti135, Veronique Maguer-Satta87, W. Kimryn Rathmell119, Wilhelm Engström136, William K. Decker137, William H. Bisson71, Yon Rojanasakul126, Yunus Luqmani138, Zhenbang Chen44, Zhiwei Hu139. Assessing the Carcinogenic Potential of Low Dose Exposures to Chemical Mixtures in the Environment: The Challenge Ahead. Carcinogenesis. In press (Accepted 1/31/2015).
- Zhiwei Hu*, Nancy Oleinick and Michael R Hamblin. (2014) Photodynamic Therapy as an Emerging Treatment Modality for Cancer and Non-Cancer Diseases. J Anal Bioanal Tech. S1: e001. doi: 10.4172/2155-9872.S1-e001
- Zhiwei Hu*. (2013) Overcome the impairment of NK cells for Icon and antibody immunotherapy of cancer. Journal of Immune Based Therapy, Vaccines and Antimicrobials. 2(1) :1-8. doi: 10.4236/jibtva.2013.21001.
- Zhiwei Hu*. (2012) Dual targeting of tumor neovasculature and tumor cells by tissue factor-targeted photodynamic therapy. Journal of Analytical & Bioanalytical Techniques. 3(4) e105.doi.10.4172/2155-9872.1000e105
- Jijun Cheng, Jie Xu, Jinzhong Duanmu, Han Zhou, Carmen J. Booth and Zhiwei Hu *. (2011) Effective treatment of human lung cancer by targeting tissue factor with a factor VII-targeted photodynamic therapy. Current Cancer Drug Targets. 11(9): 1069-1081
- Jinzhong Duanmu, Jijun Cheng, Jie Xu, Carmen J. Booth and Zhiwei Hu*. (2011) Effective treatment of chemoresistant breast cancer in vitro and in vivo by a factor VII-targeted photodynamic therapy. British Journal of Cancer. 104(9): 1401-1409.
- Zhiwei Hu*, Benqiang Rao, Shimin Chen and Jinzhong Duanmu. (2011) Selective and effective killing of angiogenic vascular endothelial cells and cancer cells by targeting tissue factor using a factor VII-targeted photodynamic therapy for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 126(3):589-600
- Zhiwei Hu* and Jing Li. (2010) Natural killer cells are crucial for the efficacy of Icon (factor VII/human IgG1 Fc) immunotherapy in human tongue cancer. BMC Immunology. 2010, 11(1):49
- Zhiwei Hu*, Benqiang Rao, Shimin Chen and Jinzhong Duanmu. (2010) Targeting tissue factor on tumour cells and angiogenic vascular endothelial cells by factor VII-targeted verteporfin photodynamic therapy for breast cancer in vitro and in vivo in mice. BMC Cancer. 2010, 10:235
- Emiliano Cocco, Zhiwei Hu*, Christine E. Richter, Stefania Bellone, Francesca Casagrande, Marta Bellone, Paola Todeschini, Graciela Krikun, Dan-Arin Silasi, Masoud Azodi, Peter E. Schwartz, Thomas J. Rutherford, Sergio Pecorelli, Charles J. Lockwood, and Alessandro D. Santin*. (2010) hI-con1, a factor VII-IgGFc chimeric protein targeting tissue factor for immunotherapy of uterine serous papillary carcinoma. British Journal of Cancer. 103(6):812-9
- Graciela Krikun*, Zhiwei Hu*, Kevin Osteen, Kaylon Tran-Brunner, Frederick Schatz, Hugh S. Taylor, Paolo Toti, Felice Arcuri, William Konigsberg, Alan Garen, Carmen J. Booth, and Charles J. Lockwood. (2010) Targeting Tissue Factor with the Immunoconjugate “Icon” Leads To the Regression of Endometriosis Through Destruction of Aberrant Blood Vessels. American Journal of Pathology 176(2):1050-1056
- Fang Lu, Zhiwei Hu*, John Sinard, Alan Garen, and Ron A Adelman*. (2009) Factor VII–verteporfin for Targeted Photodynamic Therapy in a Rat Model of Choroidal Neovascularization. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 50(8): 3890-6
- Joseph S. Palumbo, Kathryn E. Talmage, Jessica V. Massari, Christine M. La Jeunesse, Matthew J. Flick, Keith W. Kombrinck, Zhiwei Hu, Kelley A. Barney, and Jay L. Degen. (2007) Tumor cell-expressed tissue factor and circulating coagulation factors cooperatively increase metastatic potential through natural killer cell-dependent and -independent mechanisms. Blood. 110(1):133-41
- Tongalp H. Tezel, Ewa Bodek, Kenan Sönmez, Sankar Kaliappan, Henry J. Kaplan, Zhiwei Hu, Alan Garen. (2007) Targeting tissue factor for immunotherapy of choroidal neovascularization by intravitreal injection of factor VII-IgG1 Fc chimeric antibody. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation. 15: 3-10.
- Yucheng Tang, Per Borgstrom, Jonathan Maynard, Zhiwei Hu, Alan Garen, and Albert Deisseroth. (2007) Mapping of angiogenic markers for targeting of vectors to tumor vascular endothelial cells. Cancer Gene Therapy. 14: 346-353
- Puran S. Bora, Zhiwei Hu, Tongalp H. Tezel, Jeong- Hyeon Sohn, Shin Goo Kang, Jose M. Cruz, Nalini S. Bora, Alan Garen and Henry J. Kaplan. (2003) Immunotherapy for choroidal neovascularization in a laser-induced mouse model simulating exudative (wet) macular degeneration. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 100: 2679-2684
- Xu Song, Baiyang Wang, Michael Bromberg, Zhiwei Hu, William Konigsberg and Alan Garen. (2002) Retroviral-mediated transmission of a mouse VL30 RNA to human melanoma cells promotes metastasis in an immunodeficient mouse model. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 99: 6269-6273
- Zhiwei Hu and Alan Garen. (2001) Targeting tissue factor on tumor vascular endothelial cells and tumor cells for immunotherapy in mouse models of prostatic cancer. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 98:12180-12185
This article has attracted wide publicity in the press in 2001 and has been cited as one of novel cancer therapies for “Cancer Treatment: Present and Future” in Molecular Biology of the Cell (Alberts, Bruce 4th ed.) in 2002.
- Jiangao Zhu, Guanchen Li, YH Li, Jinyue Hu, Guohua Zhou, Zhiwei Hu, Qubing Sun and Xiaolin Li. (2001) Cloning and expression of human anti-colon cancer single-chain Fv fragment. Chinese J. Biotechnology 17(5):526-30
- Zhiwei Hu and Alan Garen. (2000) Intratumoral injection of adenoviral vectors encoding tumor-targeted immunoconjugates for cancer immunotherapy. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 97: 9221-9225.
- Zhiwei Hu, Ying Sun and Alan Garen. (1999) Targeting tumor vasculature endothelial cells and tumor cells for immunotherapy of human melanoma in a mouse xenograft model. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 96: 8161-8166
- Zhiwei Hu, Zhaojun Duan, Jiangao Zhu, Guohua Zhou, Jingyue Hu and Qubing Sun. (1999) VH and shorter fragments with antigen-binding activities biopanned from human repertoire single-chain Fv libraries. Chinese J Immunol.15: 148-150
- Zhiwei Hu, Xiaolin Li, Guohua Zhou, Jiangao Zhu, Qubing Sun. (1998) Extraction affinity purification and biological characteristics of colorectal cancer-associated antigen CA-Hb3. Chinese J. of Pathophysiology. 14(4): 363-367
- Zhiwei Hu, Xiaolin Li, Xiaohong Cai, Jiangao Zhu, Guohua Zhou and Qubing Sun. (1997) Cloning immunoglobulin genes from peripheral blood lymphocytes after in vitro immunization. Progress in Biochem and Biophys. 24(5): 458-461
- Zhiwei Hu and Qubing Sun. (1997) Repertoire antibody library constructed from human peripheral blood lymphocytes with in vitro immunization with colorectal carcinoma-associated antigen. Chinese J Cancer Biotherapy. 4(2):130-133
- Zhiwei Hu, Shuyun Wu and Gansheng Wen. (1995) Establishment of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay with a monoclonal antibody AU14-1 detecting soluble antigen of cervical carcinoma. Acta Academiae Medicinae Jiangxi. 35(3):9-13
- Zhiwei Hu, Shuyun Wu and Gansheng Wen. (1995) Conjugation of monoclonal antibody against uterine cervical cancer AU14-1 with horseradish peroxidase. Acta Academiae Medicinae Jiangxi. 35(2): 9-11
- Zhiwei Hu, Shuyun Wu and Gansheng Wen. (1995) Detection of cervical cancer antigen in human sera with monoclonal antibody AU14-1-ELISA assay. J Monoclonal Antibody. 11(1): 5-9
- Zhiwei Hu, Shuyun Wu and Gansheng Wen. (1995) Detection of cervical cancer antigen in Human sera with monoclonal antibody AU14-1. Chinese J Immunology 4: 247
- Zhiwei Hu and Qubing Sun. (1997) The cross regulation of Th1 and Th2 cells. Foreign Medical Science, Section: Immunology 20(3): 153-157
- Zhiwei Hu and Qubing Sun. (1996) Repertoire antibody library. Foreign Medical Science, Section: Physiology, Pathology and Clinics. 16(1): 8-10
- Zhiwei Hu and Gansheng Wen. (1996) Lymphokin-activated tumor inhibition (LATI). Foreign Medical Science, Section: Oncology. 23(3):138-140
- Zhiwei Hu and Qubing Sun. (1996) The role of host immune function in tumor immunotherapy. Medicine and Philosophy 17(1): 26-28
Invited Book Chapters
- Zhiwei Hu* (2011). Factor VII-Targeted Photodynamic Therapy for Breast Cancer and Its Therapeutic Potential for Other Solid Cancers and Leukemia. Breast Cancer - Current and Alternative Therapeutic Modalities. Esra Gunduz and Mehmet Gunduz (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-776-5, InTech. Pages 175-196. DOI: 10.5772/20398.
Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/factor-vii-targeted-photodynamic-therapy-for-breast-cancer-and-its-therapeutic-potential-for-other-s
- Zhiwei Hu* (2002). Antigen-driven stimulation of B-lymphocytes in vitro. In O’Brian, P.M and Aitken, R., ed., Methods in Molecular Biology, Volume 178: Antibody Phage Display: Methods and Protocols. The Humana Press Inc., New Jersey, USA. 2002; p 113-119
- Zhiwei Hu, Benqiang Rao, Shimin Chen, Alan Garen. (2008) Targeting tissue factor for photodynamic therapy of breast cancer. Poster presented at the AACR Annual Meeting 2008 in San Diego, CA, April 12-17, 2008.
- Ron Adelman, Fang Lu, Zhiwei Hu, J Sinard, Alan Garen. Histopathology of Icon-targeted photodynamic therapy for treatment of choroidal neovascularization in a laser-induced rat model. 2007 Annual ARVO (the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology) meeting, March 2-5, 2007, Singapore.
- Palumbo JS, Massari JV, La Jeunesse CM, Flick MJ, Hu Z, Talmage KE, Degen JL. (2005) Interplay between tumor cell-associated and circulating coagulation factors in establishing metastatic potential. BLOOD 106 (11): 202A-203A 686 Part 1, NOV 16
- Zhiwei Hu and Alan Garen (2005). Targeting Neovasculature for Development of Icon-Mediated Immunotherapy and Photodynamic Therapy of Pancreatic Cancer. Poster presented at the Pancreas Cancer: 2005: State-Of-The-Art Meeting at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, NY, June 23-25, 2005
- Zhiwei Hu and Alan Garen. (2005) Icon-Targeted Immunotherapy and Photodynamic Therapy for Breast Cancer. Poster presented at the 96th Annual Meeting of AACR on April 16-20, 2005 in Anaheim, CA.
- Fang Lu, Zhiwei Hu, Alan Garen, Ron Adelman. Targeted Photodynamic Therapy for Choroidal Neovascularization in a Laser-Induced Rat Model. Poster presented at ASRS (American Society for Retina Specialist) 22nd Annual Meeting, August 16-20, 2004 in San Diego, CA.
- Tezel TH, Sonmez K, Cruz JMC, Kapliappan S, Bora PS, Hu Z, Garen A and Kaplan HJ. (2004) Selective immunotherapy for choroidal neovascularization with intravitreal factor VII-Fc chimeric antibody (ICON). Invest. Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 45:E-Abstract 1859.
- Sonmez K, Tezel TH, Kaliappan S, Cruz JMC, Bora PS, Hu Z, Garen A and Kaplan HJ. (2004) Selective targeting of choroidal neovascularization (CNV) with factor VII-Fc chimeric antibody (ICON): comparison with anti-von Willebrand antibody. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 45: E-Abstract 1860.
- Graciela Krikun, Zhiwei Hu, Pei Hui, William Konigsberg, Charles Lockwood, Alan Garen. A novel immunotherapy for endometrial adenocarcinoma targeting tissue factor overexpression. Journal of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation 11 (2): 180A-181A 320 Suppl. S, FEB 2004.
- Zhiwei Hu, Jing Li, Alan Garen. (2003) Targeting pathological neovasculature for immunotherapy of human tongue cancer in SCID mice: Role of natural killer cells. Poster presented at the 94th American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) on July 11-14, 2003, in Washington D.C. The Yale Cancer Center and The AACR released a news report for this poster entitled “Yale Researchers Discover a Novel Immunotherapy for Tongue Cancer” on July 14, 2003.
- Alan Garen and Zhiwei Hu. (2003) Tissue factor as a therapeutic and diagnostic target for the tumor neovasculature. Cancer Gene Therapy.10:48 Suppl.
- Zhiwei Hu, Jing Li, Alan Garen. (2002) Immunotherapy of human solid tumors mediated by a Tissue Factor:Factor VII complex. Poster in the 93rd American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) on April 6-10, 2002 in San Francisco, CA.
- Alan Garen and Zhiwei Hu. (2002) Therapeutic targeting of tissue factor on the neovascular endothelium with factor VII icons. FASEB J. 16(4): A354 (Meeting abstract), Part I, March 20, 2002
Invited Oral Presentation
|January 28, 2015:|| The Ohio State University MDS Meeting.
Title: Targeting tissue factor for photodynamic therapy of cancer.
|October 25, 2014:|| The Ohio State University CCC Translational Therapeutic Program Retreat.
Title: Tissue factor: a common yet specific target for tumor cells and tumor neovasculature in the development of cancer immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy.
|September 3, 2013:|| The Ohio State University Immunology Seminar Program.
Title: Neovascular-targeting immunotherapy for cancer and other angiogenesis-dependent diseases.
|August 8-9, 2013:|| The Halifax Project workshop for Assessing the Carcinogenic Potential of Low Dose Exposures to Chemical Mixtures in the Environment organized by Getting to Know Cancer, Halifax, Canada.
Title: Environmental chemicals in tumor angiogenesis.
|Oct 16-18, 2012:|| Session Chair and Invited Speaker, 2nd World Drug Discovery Online Conference organized by Targeting Meeting, Texas, USA.
Title: Tissue factor as a novel therapeutic target for cancer immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy.
|July 6-7, 2012:|| Invited Special Lecture, The 22th Annual Meeting of the Japan Photodynamic Association on July 6-7, 2012 in Tsukuba city, Japan.
Title: Tissue factor-targeted photodynamic therapy for dual-targeting of tumor cells and tumor neovasculature.
|Sept. 14, 2011:|| Visiting Professor, Molecular Biology & Cancer Genetics Program Seminar, Ohio State University College of Medicine and Cancer Center
Title: Novel Cancer Therapeutics by Dual Targeting of Tumor Neovasculature and Tumor Cells.
|May 20, 2011:|| The Developmental Therapeutic Program of Yale Cancer Center
Title: Effective Treatment of Chemoresistant Breast Cancer by a Factor VII-targeted Photodynamic Therapy.
|Nov. 19, 2010:|| Liver Cancer Research Workshop at Yale University
Title: Dual tumor neovasculature- and tumor cell-targeting immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy for liver cancer.
|Nov. 5, 2010:|| Yale Department of Ob/Gyn Reproductive Sciences Seminar Program
Title: Development of dual neovasculature - and tumor cell-targeting immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy for cancer and non-cancerous diseases.
|August 16, 2010:|| The Graduate School of Nanchang University School of Medicine, Nanchang, China
Discussion: Updates on the development of dual tumor neovasculature- and tumor cell-targeting immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy for cancer and other pathological neovasculature-involved diseases
|August 15, 2010:|| Jiujiang College, Jiujiang, Jiangxi, China
Title: Dual tumor neovasculature- and tumor cell-targeting immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy for cancer and non-cancerous diseases (macular degeneration and endometriosis)
|August 10, 2010:|| The Fourth Shanghai International Conference on Biophysics and Molecular Biology, Symposium on New Spectroscopy and Biophysics Techniques Applied in Biology and Medicine, Shanghai, China
Title: Selective and effective targeting of tumor blood vessels and tumor cells using a novel factor VII-targeted photodynamic therapy
|July 30, 2010:|| Sun Yat-sen University, Department of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy of The Third Affiliated Hospital, Guangzhou, China
Title: Preclinical development of dual tumor neovasculature- and cancer cell-targeting immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy for solid cancer and their potential therapeutic applications for gastrointestinal cancer
|July 25, 2010:|| China Medical University Department of Immunology, Shengyang, China
Title: Targeting tissue factor for immunotherapy and photodynamic therapy of cancer
|March 6, 2010:|| Chinese Association for Science and Technology in Connecticut (CAST-CT), New Have, CT.
Title: Simultaneously Targeting Tumor Blood Vessels and Tumor Cells for Immunotherapy and Photodynamic Therapy of Cancer.
|March 25, 2009:|| Yale University Office of Environmental Health & Safety.
Title: Targeting Tumor Blood Vessels and Tumor Cells for Cancer Therapies.
|Nov 27, 2006:|| The Graduate School of Nanchang University School of Medicine, Nanchang, China.
Title: Tissue Factor: a Therapeutic Target, a Diagnostic Marker, and a Signaling Receptor in Tumor Angiogenesis
|Nov 20, 2006:|| Department of Ophthalmology of the West China Hospital and West China Clinical Medical School of Sichuan University, Chengdu, China.
Title: Tissue Factor: a Therapeutic Target, a Diagnostic Marker, and a Signaling Receptor in Pathological Angiogenesis
|Nov 17, 2006:|| The 50th Anniversary Celebration of Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, China.
Title: Tissue Factor: a Therapeutic Target, a Diagnostic Marker, and a Signaling Receptor in Tumor Angiogenesis
Breast Cancer Program of the Yale Cancer Center, New Haven, CT.Title: Targeting the Tumor Neovasculature for Immunotherapy of Breast Cancer
|October 19, 2005:|| Stem Cell Seminar Series of the Center for Regenerative Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT.
Title: Targeting the Neovasculature for Immunotherapy and Photodynamic Therapy of Cancer
|April 30, 2005:|| Allergy and Clinical Immunology series in the Department of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT.
Title: Targeting the Neovascualture for Cancer Immunotherapy
|Sept 13, 2004:|| Sol Sherry Thrombosis Research Center of Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA.
Title: Tissue Factor: a Target Molecule for Cancer Immunotherapy, Photodynamic Therapy, Radiotherapy and a Signaling Receptor for Tumor Angiogenesis
|October 6, 2003:|| Yale Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Transplantation, Yale University, New Haven, CT.
Speakers: Alan Garen and Zhiwei Hu
Title: Targeting the Pathological Vasculature for Immunotherapy
|March 19, 2003:|| Pathology and Cancer Center of the First Military Medical University, Guangzhou, China.
Title: Targeting the Neovasculature for Immunotherapy of Solid Tumors