- : 1-866-539-8664
School of Computing and Information Systems,
Faculty of Science and Technology,
|1994-1998||Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China|| PhD in Virtual Reality
Dissertation: The Development of Intelligent Virtual Reality based Industrial Training Systems.
|1989-1992||South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China|| MSc in Artificial Intelligence
Thesis: Mathematical Models, Algorithms, and Applications in Intelligent Systems for Automated Test-Generation
|1978-1982||South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China||BSc in Applied Mathematics|
- Multiagent Systems,
- Scheduling under Uncertainty,
- Modeling and
I was invited by the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) to serve as a member of an Expert Committee for the 2015 Innovation Fund (IF) competition. Prior to the meeting, starting in mid-July of 2014, I was asked to comment on the strengths and weaknesses of each proposal with respect to six evaluation criteria. It was anticipated that each proposal took about two to three hours to review. During the meeting, the committee assessed each proposal (in total, five proposals) and come to a consensus report.
I was serving as NSERC (Natural Science and Engineering Research Council) Industrial Chair Review Committee in 2009.
HONORS AND AWARDS
|2012||Craig Cunningham Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence||Athabasca University|
|2010||Leaders Opportunity Fund Award||Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)|
|2008||NSERC Discovery Grant||NSERC of Canada|
|2003||NSERC Discovery Grant||NSERC of Canada|
|1994||Distinguished Young Teacher of the Year||Guangdong Province of P. R. China|
|1990||Excellent Teacher Award||South China University of Technology of China|
|1988||Excellent Teacher Award||South China University of Technology of China|
|July 1, 2010-Present||Professor and School Chair||School of Computing and Information Systems, Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada|
|Oct. 2007 – June 30, 2010|| Professor,
MSc IS Program Director
|School of Computing and Information Systems, Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada|
|Sept. 2005 – Oct. 2007|| Associate Professor
MSc IS Program Director
|School of Computing and Information Systems, Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada|
|Oct. 2000 –Aug. 2005||Associate Professor||School of Computing and Information Systems, Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada|
|Jan. 2000 – Sept. 2000||Assistant Research Officer||Institute for Information Technology, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|July 1998 – Dec. 1999||Postdoctoral Fellow||Intelligent Systems Group, Computer Science and Intelligent Manufacturing, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Sept. 1994 - June 1998||Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant||Dept. of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China|
|July 1993 – Aug. 1994||Asso. Professor and Software Lab Director||Dept. of Applied Mathematics, South China University of Technology, China.|
|July 1992 – June 1993||Lecturer and Software Lab Director||Dept. of Applied Mathematics, South China University of Technology, China.|
|May 1987 – June 1992||Lecturer||Dept. of Applied Mathematics, South China University of Technology, China|
|July 1982 – April 1987||Assistant professor||Dept. of Applied Mathematics, South China University of Technology, China.|
- Kumar, V., F. Lin (co-editors) Systems and technologies Avancements in Distance Learning, Information Science Publishing, 2013
- Graf, S., F. Lin, Kinshuk, R. McGreal, (co-editors). Adaptivity and Intelligent Support in Learning Environments, IGI Publishing, 2011.
- Lin, F. (Editor). (2004). Designing Distributed Learning Environments with Intelligent Software Agents, Information Science Publishing. ISBN: 1-59140-500-9. (hardcover), 1-59140-501-7 (paperback), 1-59140-502-5 (eBook) (311 pages).
- F. Lin& J. Feng, (1989). Data Structure: Practice and Improvement (Supplementary Textbook), South Chine University of Technology (In Chinese) (311 pages).
- Ning Xia, Fuhua Lin, Aishuang Li, MODELING AND VISUALIZATION OF FRUIT TREES IN HORTICULTURE, in a book "Computers and Education" edited by Sergei Abramovich (2011).
- M. Maiga, Q. Tan, F. Lin, & T-C Liu, (2009), Multi-Agent Architecture and Location-Based Ubiquitous Learning Framework,in Book edited by Q. Li & T. K. Shih, Ubiquitous Multimedia Computing, CRC Press, 341-354.
- Lin, F. (2004). Knowledge Modeling for Designing Learning Objects. In R. McGreal (Ed.), Online Education using Learning Objects(pp.314-330). London: Routledge/Falmer.
- Lin,F., Esmahi, L., &Poon, L. (2004). Integrating Agent Technology and Web Services into Distributed Learning Environments. In F. Lin (Ed.), Designing Distributed Learning Environments with Intelligent Software Agents(pp. 184-217). Information Science Publishing.
- Esmahi, L., & Lin, F. (2004). A Multiagent Framework for an Adaptive E-earning System.In F. Lin (Ed.), Designing Distributed Learning Environments with Intelligent Software Agents(pp.218-241).Information Science Publishing.
- Lin, F. (2002), Virtual Training Scenario Analysis Using Petri Nets. In T. K. Shih & P. P. Wang (Ed.), Intelligent Virtual World: Technologies and Applications in Distributed Virtual Environments(pp. 213-223). World Scientific Publishing Co.
- Lin, F. (2001). Multimedia and Multi-stream Synchronization. In T. K. Shih (Ed.),Distributed Multimedia Databases: Techniques and Applications(pp.245-260). Information Science Publishing.
- Lin, F.,Norrie, D. H., Shen, W., & Kremer, R. (2000). Schema-based Approach to Specifying Conversation Policies. In F. Dignum and M. Greaves (Eds.), Issues on Agent Communications, LNAI Vol.1916 (pp. 193-204). Springer-Verlag.
- Su, C., Lin, F., Ye, L., Finney, C. M., & Duffy, V. G. (1997). Industrial training using virtual reality. In M.J. Smith, G. Salvendy, & R.J. Koubek (Eds.),Design of Computing Systems: Social and Ergonomic Considerations, Advances in Human Factors/Ergonomics 21B (pp.989-992). Elsevier.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Maiga Chang, Denis Lachance, Fuhua Lin, Farook Al-Shamali, Nian-Shing Chen, Enhancing Orbital Physics Learning Performance through a Hands-on Kinect Game, Education and Science (Accepted, 2015)
- Bo Wu, Xiaokang Zhou, Qun Jin, Fuhua Lin, and Henry Leung, (2014) Analyzing of Social Roles Based on a Hierarchical Model and Data Mining for Collective Decision-Making Support, IEEE Systems Journal,Volume:PP, Issue: 99, 1-10.
- Nincic, V., Chang, M., & Lin F., dMLRid ñ An XML-Based Proof-of-Concept Mobile DRM Framework for Sharing Learning Contents among Mobile Networks, International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, March 2013, 180-184.
- S. Shabani, F. Lin, and S. Graf, (2012), A Framework for User Modeling in QuizMASter. Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, ISSN (online) 1971 - 8829 | ISSN (paper) 1826 - 6223, Vol. 8, No. 3.
- V Nincic, M. Chang, and F. Lin, (2012). dMLRid - An XML-based Proof-of-Concept Mobile DRM Framework for Sharing Learning Contents among Mobile Devices, International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering (IJIEE, ISSN: 2010-3719)Vol. 3, No. 2, March 2013, 180-184
- Steve Leung, SandeepVirwaney, Fuhua Lin, AJ Armstrong, AdienDubbelboer, TSI-enhanced Pedagogical Agents to Engage Learners in Virtual Worlds", International Journal of Distance Education Technologies, Special Issue on: "International Workshop on Technology-Enhanced Social Learning", Volume 11, Issue 1, 1-13.
- Y Liu, C Yang, Y Yang, F Lin, and X Du ,Case Learning in CBR-Based Agent Systems for Ship Collision Avoidance, International Journal of Applied Intelligence ( ISSN: 0924-669X). Volume 36, Number 2 (2012), 308-319, DOI: 10.1007/s10489-010-0262-z ( ISSN: 0924-669X). (2011 Impact factor: 0.849)
- Deline, G., F. Lin, D. Wen, D. Gašević, &Kinshuk, (2009) A Case Study of Ontology-Driven Development of Intelligent Educational Systems, International Journal of Web-based Learning and Teaching, Special Issue on Intelligent and Adaptive Web-based Educational Systems. 4(1), 66-81, January-March 2009
- Ty MeyEap, DraganGašević, Kinshuk, Fuhua (Oscar) Lin, (2008). Personalized Mobile Learning Content Delivery: a Learner Centric Approach, Int. J. Mobile Learning and Organization.
- Lin, F., Kinshuk, R. McGreal, S. Leung, D. Wen, F. Zhang, Q. Li, X. Liang, (2008), e-Advisor: A Web-based Intelligent System for Academic Advising, International Transactions on Systems Science and Applications, (ITSSA), 4(1), March 2008. pp.89-98 (ISSN: 1751-1461)
- K. Stauffer, F. Lin, and M. Koole (2008), A Methodology for Developing Learning Objects for Web Course Delivery, Journal of Distance Education Technologies, 6(3), 58-68, 2008. (ISSN 1539-3100)
- Lin, F., Holt, P., Leung, S., & Li, Q. (2006). A multi-agent and service-oriented architecture for developing integrated and intelligent Web-based education systems. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning,16(1/2), 77-91 (ISSN: 0957-4344)
- Holt, P.,Lin, F., Wang, H., &Pu, Q. (2003). A Learner-Centered Distributed Learning Environment. WSEAS Transactions on Communications (2-3), 271-276 (ISSN: 1109-2742). (EI)
- Lin, F.,Ye, L., Duffy, V. G., &Su, C-J. (2002). Developing Virtual Environment for Industrial Training.Information Sciences, Special issue: Interactive virtual environments and distance education, 140 (1-2), 153-170 (ISSN: 0020-0255)
- Shih, T. K., Antoni, G. D., Arndt, T., Asirvatham, A., Chang, C.-T., Chee, Y. S., Dow, C.-R., Jin, Q., Jung, I., Leong, H. V., Li, S.-T., Lin, F., Liu, J., Sala, N. & Wang, &Y.-H. (2003). A Survey of Distance Education: Challenges and Technologies. Journal of Distance Education Technologies, 1(1), 1-21, Jan-Mar 2003, 1-21 (ISSN:1539-3100)
- Shih, T. K., Chiu, C-F, Hsu, H-H, &Lin, F. (2002). An integrated framework for recommendation system in e-commerce. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 102(8 & 9), 417-431. (ISSN: 0263-5577)
- Lin, F. & Norrie, D. H. (2001). Schema-based conversation modeling for agent-oriented manufacturing systems. Computers in Industry, 46, 259-274 (ISSN: 0166-3615)
- Holt, P., Lin, F., Stauffer, K., Jelica, G., & Shih, T. K. (2001). An Infrastructure for Developing Agents for Distance Education on the Internet. Journal of Computers, Special Issue on Distance Learning, 13(2), 77-92.
- Ye, L., Duffy, V. G., Yen, B., Lin, F., & Su, C-J (2000). Knowledge modeling methodology for intelligent virtual reality-based industrial training systems. Asian Journal of Ergonomics, 1(1), 73-94. (ISSN: 1345-9570)
- Su, C-J, Lin,F.,&Ye, L. (1999). A new collision detection method for CSG-represented objects in virtual manufacturing, Computers in Industry, 40, 1-13. (ISSN: 0166-3615)
- Su, C-J, Lin, F., & Su, C-H, (1998). Syntactic Level Interpretation Approaches for Advanced Engineering Drawing Conversion Support System, Computer and Industrial Engineering, 35(3-4), 635-638. (ISSN: 0360-8352) (Impact factor of this journal 2005: 0.347)
- Jiao, J., Tseng, M. M., Duffy, V. G., & Lin, F. (1998). Product Family Modeling for Mass Customization, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 35(3-4), 495-498 (ISSN: 0360-8352) (Impact factor of this journal 2005: 0.347) (Number of Google Scholar Citations: 61)
- Lin, F.,Hon, C-L,&Su, C-J.(1997). A Virtual Reality-based Training System for CNC Milling Machine Operations. Annual Journal of Institute of Industrial Engineers (HK), 13-16 (ISSN 1609-3208)
- Lin, F., Chen, G., Hong, C., & Wang, G. (1995). Design Scheme of Knowledge-based Computer-Aided Exam-paper Formation System, Chinese Journal of Software, (in Chinese) 6, 194-201, (ISSN 1000-9825)
- Lin, F.,Chen, G., Hong, C., Tang, S., Liu, Y., & Wang, G. (1995). Algorithms solving Knowledge-based Exam-paper Formation Problem, Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science, in Chinese), 23(9), 58-65 (ISSN: 1000-565X)
- Lin, F., Chen, G., Hong, C., Wu, X., & Li, L. (1995). Knowledge Acquisition and Representation in Computer-Aided Exam-paper Formation System, Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science, in Chinese),23(9), 127-132. (ISSN: 1000-565X)
- Chen, X., Zhong, H., &Lin, F. (1995). The Design and Implementation of Output Module of GITB Exam-paper Forming System, Journal of South China University of Technology (Science, in Chinese), 23(9), 70-75. (ISSN: 1000-565X)
- Zheng, X., & Lin, F. (1990). Generalizing Relational Data Model with Fuzzy Data, Journal of South China University of technology (Natural Science, in Chinese), 18(4), 114-124. (ISSN: 1000-565X)
- Lin, F., (1992). A System Model of Knowledge-based Exam Paper Formation Expert System,Advances in Modeling and Simulation, AMSE Press, 31(3), 29-39. (ISSN: 0761-2494)
- Lin, F. (1992). Neural Network Model for Reasoning, Chinese Journal of Computers, 20(4), 29-25.
- Chen, C., & Lin, F. (1986). Directions and Outlook on Generalized Set based Natural Language Understanding, Intelligence and Elements Analysis (in Chinese), 3, 1986
Refereed Conference Publications
- Graham Lange, Fuhua Lin, Modeling Well Scheduling as a Virtual Enterprise with Intelligent Agents, IEEE CSE 2014, Chengdu, China (Best Paper of IEEE CSE 2014)
- SteeveLaberge, Tony Lenihan, SimaShabani, and Fuhua Lin, Multiagent Coordination for Planning and Enacting an Assessment Game, Workshop on MultiAgent System Based Learning Environments MASLE of Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS) 2014, Honolulu - Hawaii, USA
- Bo Wu, Xiaokang Zhou,Qun Jin, Fuhua Lin, Heney Leung, Hierarchical Modeling and Analysis of Social Roles for Collective Decision-Making Support, The 14th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology(CIT 2014), September 11-13, 2014, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China(Distinguished paper)
- SteeveLaberge, Tony Lenihan, SimaShabani, and Fuhua Lin, Multiagent Coordination for Planning and Enacting an Assessment Game, MultiAgent System Based Learning Environments MASLE of Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS),June 5, 2014, Honolulu - Hawaii, USA
- G. McClure, M. Chang, and F. Lin, "MAS Controlled NPCs in 3D Virtual Learning Environment", The International Workshop on Smart Learning Environments at the 9th International Conference on Signal-Image Technology and Internet-Based Systems, Japan, Kyoto, 2013-12-02, 1026 – 1033, DOI: 10.1109/SITIS.2013.166
- F. Lin and W. Chen, "Designing a MAS for Course Offering Determination" Paper , LNAI 8291, Springer, Heidelberg, 165-180, 16th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Multi-agent Systems (PRIMA 2013), New Zealand, Dunedin, 2013-12-04
- B. Wu, Q. Jin, X. Zhou, W. Wang, F. Lin, and Henry Leung,, "Dynamically Identifying Roles in Social Media by Mapping Real World" Paper, The 6th IEEE International Conference on Ubi-Media Computing, Japan, Aizu-Wakamatsu, 2013-11-02
- F. Lin,.A. Newcomb, A J. Armstrong, A MAS Approach to Course Offering Determination, The 2012 International Symposium on The Intelligent Campus (IC12)iCampus, Theme: Intelligent Educational Environments for the Next Generation,within the 2012 World Intelligence Congress, December 4-7, 2012 Macau, China.(accepted).
- S. Virwaney, F. Lin, G. McClure, B. Heller, (2012), An Integrated Architecture for Multiagent Virtual Worlds for Performing Adaptive Testing Games. Proceedings of the Eighteenth International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems, DMS 2012, Miami, USA, August 9-11, pp.101-106
- Martin Weng, Tim Shih, Fuhua Lin, A Prototype of Learning Environment for Social Learning on ELGG Social Platform, U-Media 2012, (accepted)
- Martin M. Weng, IretiFakinlede, Fuhua Lin, Timothy K. Shih, and Maiga Chang. (2011). A Conceptual Design of Multi-Agent based Personalized Quiz Game. In the Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technology, (ICALT 2011), Athens, GA, USA, July 6-8, 2011, 19-21. (IEEE, acceptance rate 24.59%)
- Walter Ridgewell, Vive Kumar, Oscar Lin, Kinshuk: OpenSim Virtual Worlds as a Platform for Enhanced Learning Concepts. ICALT 2011: 623-624
- Clayton Clemens, Maiga Chang,Dunwei Wen, Vive Kumar, Oscar Lin,Kinshuk: Traces of Writing Competency - Surfing the Classroom, Social, and Virtual Worlds. ICALT 2011: 625-626
- Leung, S.; Virwaney, S.; Lin, F.; Armstrong, A.J.; TSI-Enhanced Engaging Pedagogical Agents,Proceedings of Internet of Things (iThings/CPSCom), 2011 International Conference on and 4th International Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing, 570 - 575
- Blair, Jeanne & F. Lin (2011). An Approach for Integrating 3D Virtual Worlds with Multiagent Systems, ISeRim workshop - IANA 2011 (March, 2011; Singapore)
- Armstrong, AJ & F. Lin, (2010) Modelling and Personalizing Curriculum with Colored Petri Nets, ICCE 2010 (WIPP).
- Nincic, V., M. Chang, & F. Lin (2010). dMLRid – An XML-based Proof-of-Concept Mobile DRM Framework for Sharing Learning Content among Mobile Network. 2010 International Conference on Information Security and Artificial Intelligence (ISAI 2010). Chengdu, China. Dec 17-19, 2010.
- Y Liu, C Yang, Y Yang, F Lin, and X Du, (2009) Case Learning in CBR-Based Agent Systems for Ship Collision Avoidance, 12th International Conference on Principles of Practice in Multi-Agent Systems.
- F Lin, Kinshuk, & M Dutchuk, (2009). Multiagent architecture for incorporating adaptivity feature into 3D learning environments, The 6th International Workshop on Mobile and Ubiquitous Learning Environments (MULE 2009), Sept 8-12, 2009, Athabasca University, Canada, pp 33-35
- Mark Dutchuk, Khalid Aziz Muhammadi, Fuhua Lin (2009), QuizMASter - A Multi-Agent Game-Style Learning Activity, EduTainment 2009, Aug 2009, Banff, Canada, Learning by Doing, (eds.), M Chang, R. Kuo, Kinshuk, G-D Chen, M. Hirose, LNCS 5670, 263-272.
- Meller, T., F. Lin, & E. Wang, C. Yang (2009), New Classification Algorithms for Developing Online Program Recommendation Systems,ProceedingsofInternational Conference on Mobile, Hybrid, and On-line Learning (eL&mL 2009), February 1-7, 2009 - Cancun, Mexico, 67-72
- Chang, M., Q. Tan, T-C Liu, F. Lin, Multi-agent Architecture based Location-aware Service Project for Ubiquitous Learning, workshop of workshop on Ubiquitous Learning Models for K-12, Higher Education, and Adult Education, ICCE 2008, October 27-31, 2008, Taipei, Taiwan.
- S. Leung, F. Lin, D. Wen, Towards a Data-driven Ontology Engineering Framework, C1: AIED/ITS and Adaptive Learning, ICCE 2008, October 27-31, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Wen, D.; Lin, F., (2008), Ways and Means of Employing AI Technology in E-Learning Systems, Advanced Learning Technologies, 2008. ICALT apos;08. Eighth IEEE International Conference on Volume, Issue, 1-5 July 2008 Page(s): 1005 – 1006
- Lin, F., Leung, S., Wen, D., Zhang, F., Kinshuk, &McGrael, R. (2007). E-Advisor: AnMulti-agent System for Academic Advising, Workshop on Agent-Based Systems for Human Learning and Entertainment (ABSHLE) at Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS) 2007, May 15, 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Lin, F. & Wen, D. (2007). Ontologies in an Intelligent System for Academic Advising, The Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE), May 26-30, 2007 Guangzhou, China.
- Wen, D., Fan, Xo, & Lin, F. (2006). FORPM: Boosting Users' Effect on Ontology Matching, International Workshop on Ontology Matching (poster paper).Proceedings of the 5th International Semantic Web Conference ISWC-2006, Athens, Georgia, USA, 231-235.
- Yang, C., Lin, H., &Lin, F. (2006).Designing Multiagent-based Education Systems for Navigation Training.Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (ICCI2006). Beijing, China. July 17-19, 2006. http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/iit-publications-iti/docs/NRC-48555.pdf
- Lin, F., Zhang, F., & Wen, D. (2006). Developing MAS for Academic Advising,Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Agent-based Systems for Human Learning, AAMAS 2006, Future University-Hakodate, Japan, 49-54
- Lin, F., Leung, S., Wen, D., & Zhang, F. (2006). An Intelligent System for Academic Advising, Proceedings of the 10th Annual Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE2006): Research and Practice on Information Technology in Education, Beijing, June 2006. (ISBN 7-900631-78-X), 101-115.
- Wen, D., Xiong, J., Ally, M., &Lin, F. (2006). An SMS based knowledge querying system for mobile learning. mLearn 2006 - the 5th World Conference on Mobile Learning. Banff, Canada.
- Lin, F., Li, Q., & Wen, D. (2005). Knowledge Modelling for developing program planning agents, Proceedings of International Conference of E-Business 2005, Hong Kong, Dec.6-9. 366-371.
- Wen, D., Dickson, K., &Lin, F. (2005). Knowledge Modelling for Readiness Self-assessment, Proceedings of International Conference of E-Business 2005, Hong Kong, Dec.6-9. 340-345
- Ally, M., Lin, F., McGreal, R., &Woo, B. (2005). An Intelligent Agent for Adapting and Delivering Electronic Course Materials to Mobile Learners, Proceedings of m-Learn 2005, H. van der Merwe& T. Brown (Eds.), Cape Town, South Africa, Oct. 25-28, 2005, 1-5
- Lin, F., Ally, M., Leung, S., Li, Q., &McGreal, R. (2005). Towards Agent-Enhanced Web-Based Education Systems, CD-ROM for the proceedings of the9thGlobal Chinese Society for Computers in Education, 2005, June 6-9, Hawaii, USA
- Hogeboom, M., &Lin, F. (2005). Constructing Knowledge Bases for e-Learning Using Protégé 2000 and Web Services, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Taipei, Taiwan, March 28-30, 2005, 215-220, vol. 1 (ISBN ~ ISSN:1550-445X , 0-7695-2249-1)
- Cao, Y., Lin, F., McGreal, R. Schafer, S., Friesen, N., Tin, T., Anderson, T., Kariel, D., Powell, B., & Anderson, M. (2004).Facilitating E-learning with aMARC to IEEE LOM Metadata Crosswalk Application.In Orchard, B., Yang, C., &Ali, M. (Eds.). Innovations in Applied Artificial Intelligence: 17th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems, IEA/AIE 2004, Ottawa, Canada, May 17-20, 2004.(ISBN: 3-540-22007-0), 739-748.
- Lin,F., &Poon, L. (2004). Agents for Maintaining On-line Learning Course Materials, Innovations in Applied Artificial Intelligence: 17th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems, IEA/AIE 2004, Ottawa, Canada, May 17-20, 2004.(ISBN: 3-540-22007-0), 848-856.
- Lin, F., Holt, P., Leung, S., Hogeboom, M., &Cao, Y.(2004).A Multi-Agent and Service-Oriented Architecture for Developing Integrated and Intelligent Web-based Education Systems, Proceedings for the Workshop on Applications of Semantic Web Technologies for Web-based ITS, Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS), 11-20.
- Lin, F.,& Lin, H., & Holt, P. (2003). A Method for Implementing Distributed Learning Environments, Proceedings of the International Conference of Information Resource Management Association. May 18-21, Philadelphia, Pennssylvania, USA, 484-487
- Lin, F., Holt, P., Leung, S., Maton, C., & Holmberg, C. (2002). An Agent-Oriented Approach to Modeling Distributed Learning Systems, Proceedings of the sixth IASTED International Conference on Software Engineering and Applications (SEA 2002), Nov. 4-6, 2002, in Cambridge, USA, (ISBN: 0-88986-323-7), 124-129.
- Yang, C., Lin, F., & Lin, H., (2002). Policy-based Privacy and Security Management for Collaborative E-Education Systems, Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE 2002), (Eds.) Gustavo A. Santana Torrellas, Vladimir Uskov, May 20-22, 2002, Cancun, Mexico, ACTA Press, (ISBN: 0-88986-332-6), 501-505,
- Holt, P., Pu, Q., Lin, F., &Wang, H., (2002). A Distributed Adaptive Learning Environment, Proceedings of Global Chinese Society for Computers in Education (GCCCE), Beijing China.
- Yang, C., Phan, S., Kuo, P., &Lin, F. (2001). Applying Collision Avoidance Expert System to Navigation Training Systems as an Intelligent Tutor,Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Industry & Engineering Application of Artificial Intelligence & Expert System (IIEA/AIE), Budapest, Hungary. June 4-7, 2001. Lecture Notes In Computer Science; Vol. 2070, (ISBN: 3-540-42219-6), 941-947.
- Lin, F., (2001). Modeling Online Instruction Knowledge for Virtual Training Systems using Petri Nets, Proceedings of IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing, August 26-28, 2001, Victoria, B.C., Canada, Conference Proceedings, Volume I, (ISBN: 0-7803-7080-5), 212-215.
- Lin, F.,&Holt, P. (2001). Towards Agent-based Online Learning, Proceedings of the Fourth IASTED International Conference on Computer and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE 2001), June 27-29, 2001 Banff, Canada, Calvert, T., &Keenan, T. (Eds.), ACTA Press, (ISBN: 0-88986-289-3), 124-129
- Lin, F., Holt, P., Korba, L., & Shih, T. K. (2001). A Framework for Developing Distance Learning systems, CD-ROM Proceedings of Conference on Advances in Infrastructure for Electronic Business, Science, and Education on the Internet. SSGRR 2001 L'Aquila, Italy, Aug 6-12, 2001, the abstract in The Book of Abstracts, (IBSN: 88-85280-61-7)
- Lin, F., & Norrie, D. H., Kremer, R., &Flores-Mendez, R. A. (2000). Enabling efficient and emergent agent conversations in collaborative agent Systems, Proceedings of Agents'2000, June 3-7, Spain. (ISBN:1-58113-230-1), Series-Proceeding-Article, ACM Press New York, NY, USA. 233-234.
- Lin, F., Norrie, D. H., Flores-Mendez, R. A., & Kremer, R.(2000). Incorporating Conversation Managers into Multi-agent Systems. In Greaves, M., Dignum, F., Bradshaw, J., &Chaib, B. (Eds.). Proceedings of the Workshop on Agent Communication and Languages, 4th International Conference on Autonomous Agents (Agents 2000), June 3-7, 2000, Barcelona, 1-9.
- Lin, F.,Korba, L., Shen, W., & Norrie, D. H. (2000). Improving Systems Interoperability through Using Conversation Polices and Schemata, Proceedings of AI2000 Workshop on Software Agents and Workflows for Systems Interoperability, Montreal, Canada, May 14-17, 2000, 31-46.
- Korba, L., &Lin, F. (2000). Towards Policy-based Agent Distribution and Management, MATA'00, Paris, Sept, 2000, Lecture Notes on Computer Science 1931, Horlait, E. (Ed.) Springer-Verlag, 115-128 (ISSN: 0302-9743)
- Lin, F., &Korba, L. (2000). Incorporating communication monitoringfacility in multi-agent systems, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC'2000), 8-11 October, 2000, Nashville, TN, USA, 3116-3121.
- Lin, F., Su, C-J, &Tseng, M.(1999). A Multi-agent-based approach to Developing Virtual Reality-based Industrial Training Systems, Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, Chicago, 253-260
- Su, C-J, Lin,F., &Zhang, X. (1998). An efficient collision detection methodology for virtual assembly, Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC’1998), 1, 360-365.
- Ye, L., &Lin, F. (1997), Virtual System Simulation --- A Step beyond 2D Conventional Simulation, Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference of Computer &Industrial Engineering, Cairo, 304-307.
- Su, C-J, Lin, F., & Yen, B.(1996). An Adaptive Bounding Objects Methods for Efficient and Precise Collision Detection Algorithm for CGS-represented Virtual Objects, Proceedings of Symposium on Virtual Reality in Manufacturing Research and Education, 1996.
- Lin, F. O. (2008). Book review: Semantic Web and Education (V.Devedzic). Educational Technology & Society, 11(3), 292-293.
- McGreal, R., Anderson, T., Hubick, C., Lin, F., Sosteric, M., Tin, T., &Yasynska, O. (2005). Case Study: eduSource and the Athabasca University Digital Library Project, E-Learning Network News, 1(1).http://www.astd.org/astd/Publications/Newsletters/elearn_news/jan05_mcgreal.htm
- Hogeboom, M., & Lin, F. (2004). Developing Domain Model Web Services For Agent-supported Distributed Learning Using PROTÉGÉ 2000, IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology (TCLT),Learning Technology newsletter, Kinshuk (Ed.), 6(2), 42-45. (ISSN: 1438-0625)
- Lin, F. (2001). A Critique of Stephen Downes' Article, “Learning Objects”: A Chinese Perspective. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. July, ISSN: 1492-3831,V2.1.