- Black LV, Soltau T, Kelly DR, and Berkow RL. Shwachman-Diamond Syndrome presenting in a premature infant as pancytopenia. Pediatr Blood and Cancer, July 2008; 51(1): 123-24.
- Black LV and Maheshwari A. Disorders of the fetomaternal unit: hematologic manifestations in the fetus and neonate. Semin Perinatol, Feb 2009; 33(1): 12-19.
- Black LV, Ness TJ, and Robbins MT. Effects of oxytocin and prolactin on stress-induced bladder hypersensitivity in female rats. J of Pain, Oct 2009; 10: 1065-72.
- Black LV and Maheshwari A. Immune-mediated neutropenia in the neonate. NeoReviews 2009; 10: 446-53.
- Black LV, Smith WR. Evidence-based mini-review: are systemic corticosteroids an effective treatment for acute pain in sickle cell disease? Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2010; 2010: 416-17.
- Black LV, Ness TJ, DeBerry J, and Robbins MT. Relationship between lactogenic hormones and stress-induced bladder hypersensitivity. IASP 12th World Congress on Pain, Glasgow, Scotland, August 2008.
- Black LV, Ness TJ, and Robbins MT. Oxytocin is analgesic in a model of bladder hypersensitivity. Society for Neuroscience, Washington, DC, November 2008.
- Gupta A, Strouse JJ, Black LV. Neonatal aortic thrombosis: a case series. ASPHO, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 2012.
- Badawy S, Meier ER, Black LV, et al. First Interim Analysis of the ASPHO Mentoring Program, ASPHO, Chicago, Illinois, May 2014.
- Black LV, Landry R, Templet J. Evaluation of purified poloxamer (MST-188) in children with sickle cell disease in crisis at OLOL Children’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital Scholarly Activity Day, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, April 2014
- Salas J, Deyo J, Black LV. Clinical Mimics of Lymphoma. Children’s Hospital Scholarly Activity Day, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, April 2014
- Ness TJ and Black LV. Pain from Abdominal Viscera. In: Stannard C, Kalso E, and Ballantyne J (editors). Evidenced-Based Chronic Pain Management. 1st Ed, Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing 2010.
- Maheshwari A and Black LV. Practical approaches to the neutropenic neonate. In: Ohls RK and Maheshwari A (editors). Hematology, Immunology, and Infectious Disease: Neonatology Questions and Controversies. 2nd Ed, Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Publishing 2012.
Multimedia and Educational Materials
- Black LV and Howard TH. Acute and Chronic Pain Management in Pediatric Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Educational DVD for primary care providers, August 2008.
Local Research or Educational Presentations
- The Effects of a Chronic Illness on a Well Sibling. Pediatric Resident Conference, August 2005.
- Isolated CNS Relapse of Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, August 2006.
- Chediak-Higashi Syndrome. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, October 2006.
- Treatment Advances in Stage IV Hodgkin’s Disease. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, November 2006.
- Nonmetastatic Osteosarcoma of the Jaw. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, December 2006.
- Nonmetastatic Hepatoblastoma. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, January 2007.
- Bilateral Retinoblastoma. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, January 2007.
- Local Control Decisions in Ewing’s Sarcoma of the Pelvis. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, February 2007.
- Down Syndrome and Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, March 2007.
- Relapsed ALL: To Transplant or Not To Transplant. UAB Leukemia Conference, April 2007.
- Treatment Options for Refractory Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, April 2007.
- Langerhans’ Cell Histiocytosis. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, April 2007.
- Shwachman-Diamond Syndrome. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, June 2007.
- Thiopurine Methyltransferase and 6-MP Intolerance. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, July 2007.
- Biologic Influences on Pain Perception and Their Role in the Management of Childhood Cancer and Sickle Cell Disease. Fellows/Research Conference Presentation, March 2008.
- Steroid-Induced Mood and Behavioral Problems in Children with ALL. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, July 2008.
- The Relationship between the Lactogenic Hormones and Stress-Induced Bladder Hypersensitivity. Fellows/Research Conference Presentation, January 2009.
- Neonatal Neutropenias. Pediatric Tumor Board Presentation, May 2009
- 19. A Practical Approach to Leukopenia/Neutropenia in Children, Pediatric Trends, April 2011
- An Overview of Hemolytic Anemias in Children, Pediatric Trends, April 2012
- Pain in sickle cell disease, OLOL “Lunch and Learn” for community
- pediatricians, August 2013.
- Transfusion Medicine, Resident Lecture, May 2013
- Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Resident Lecture, December 2013
- Sickle cell emergencies, OLOL Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Symposium, February 2014
- Pediatric brain tumors, OLOL Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Symposium, February 2014
- Pediatric Cytopenias (leukopenia, neutropenia, and pancytopenia), Resident Lecture, September 2014.
Invited Visiting Lectures
- Biologic Influences on Pain Perception and Their Potential Role in the Management of Sickle Cell Disease. Johns Hopkins University, Division of Pediatric Hematology, May 2008.
- Exploring the Role of Genetic Polymorphisms in the OPRM1 and COMT Genes on Pain Perceptions and the Treatment of Painful Vaso-Occlusive Crises in Sickle Cell Disease. SIT Trial annual meeting, St. Louis, MO, November 2008.
- An Overview of Pain in Sickle Cell Disease for “Sickle Cell Disease and Health Science Informatics: Educational Symposium for Patients, Families, and Providers”. Sponsored by mdlogix, Baltimore, MD, May 2012.
- Strategies for Successful Enrollment in MST-188, EPIC Trial Investigator’s Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 2014.
- A Practical Approach to Leukopenia/Neutropenia in Children, Red Stick Pediatric Potpourri (Louisiana State AAP meeting), Baton Rouge, LA, August 2014.
Ad-Hoc Reviewer Positions
- National Organization for Rare Disorders
- Journal of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Blood & Cancer