Associate Professor of Optometry
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
|Degree||Year||Field of Study||Institution and Location|
|Ph.D||2009||Vision Science||Indiana University School of Optometry, Bloomington, Indiana, USA|
|Masters in Pharmaceutical Sciences||1996||Bangalore University, India|
|Bachelor of Pharmacy||1994||Bangalore University, India|
He obtained his PhD in Vision Science from Indiana University, USA and received postdoctoral training at the Department of Oral biology and Center for Regenerative Biology and Medicine at IUPUI, IN, USA in the areas of cell signaling and epigenetics. Before coming to USA for my PhD, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Pharmacy Institutions affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India for 7.5 years and was involved in teaching and research. Currently, he is an Associate Professor at the MCPHS School of Optometry and he involved in teaching basic science courses in the optometry curriculum as well as research. His current research interests include understanding the molecular mechanisms involved in the manifestation of retinal degenerative diseases and also examining abnormal gene expression in animal models with retinal degenerative disease. He currently serves as a reviewer for several biomedical journals and he is a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. He is also a member of biomedical educator’s forum of Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry in the US. His areas of expertise are cell signaling, actincytoskeleton, microtubules, drug delivery, corneal dystrophy, retinal disease and epigenetics.
- Cell signaling
- Drug delivery
- Corneal dystrophy
- Retinal disease
Positions and Honors
|2012 - Present||Associate Professor, MCPHS School of Optometry, Worcester, Massachusetts|
|2010-2012||Research Associate, Center for Regenerative Biology and Medicine, IUPUI, Indianapolis, Indiana|
|2009-2010||Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Oral Biology, IUPUI, Indianapolis, Indiana|
|2004||Assistant Professor, PES College of Pharmacy, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India|
|1996 - 2004||Lecturer, M.S. Ramaiah College of Pharmacy, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India|
|2017||Teacher Recognition Award for classroom teaching and optometric research, School of Optometry, MCPHS University|
|2016||Most Inspirational Professor Award, 2016, School of Optometry, MCPHS
|2011||Retina Research Foundation/Joseph M and Eula C. Lawrence Travel Grant for ARVO conference, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida|
|2008||American Academy of Optometry Travel Fellowship for ARVO conference, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida|
|2008||Vistakon Travel Fellowship for AAO conference, Anaheim, California|
|2007||American Academy of Optometry Travel Fellowship, Tampa, Florida|
|2004-2009||Chancellor Fellowship for Ph.D in Vision Science, Indiana University|
- Tiwari S, Dharmarajan S, Shivanna M, Otteson DC, Belecky-Adams TL, Histone deacetylase expression patterns in developing murine optic nerve; BMC Dev Biol. 2014 Jul 9;14-30.
- Rajashekhar G, Shivanna M, Kompella UB, Wang Y, Srinivas SP, Role of MMP-9 in the breakdown of barrier integrity of the corneal endothelium in response to TNF-α; Exp Eye Res. 2014 May;122:77-85.
- Kacena MA, Eleniste PP, Cheng YH, Huang S, Shivanna M, Meijome TE, Mayo LD, Bruzzaniti A, Megakaryocytes Regulate the Expression of Pyk2 isoforms and the Caspase-Mediated Cleavage of Actin in Osteoblasts; J Biol Chem. 2012 May 18;287(21):17257-68
- Eleniste PP, Du L, Shivanna M, Bruzzaniti A, Dynamin and PTP-PEST cooperatively regulate Pyk2 dephosphorylation in osteoclasts; Int J Biochem CellBiol. 2012 May;44(5):790-800
- Shivanna M, S.P. Srinivas, Elevated cAMP opposes the (TNF-a)-induced loss in barrier integrity of the corneal endothelium, Mol Vis. 2010; 16:1781-90.
- Shivanna M Sangly P. Srinivas, Loss of barrier integrity in the corneal endothelium in response to TNF- involves activation of p38 MAP Kinase, Invest. Ophthalm. Vis.Sci., 2010, 51(3): 1575-1582
- Mahesh Shivanna, Supriya S. Jalimarada, Sangly P. Srinivas, Lovastatin inhibits the thrombin-induced loss of barrier integrity in bovine corneal endothelium, J. Ocul. Pharm. Ther, 2010 Feb; 26 (1):1-10.
- Mahesh Shivanna, Sangly P. Srinivas, Microtubule stabilization opposes the (TNF- a)-induced loss in the barrier integrity of corneal endothelium, Exp. Eye. Res, 2009 Sep, 89(6), 950-959
- Supriya Jalimarada, Mahesh Shivanna, Vidisha Kini, Dolly Mehta, S.P. Srinivas, Microtubule disassembly breaks down the barrier integrity of corneal endothelium, Exp. Eye. Res, 2009 Sep; 89(3):333-43
- Murthy S.N, Mahesh Shivanna, Sanoferjan, Swamy N, Formulation and Evaluation of beta-cyclodextrin complexes of Tenoxicam, Indian.J.Pharm.Sci, 2000, 62(2), 119-123.
- Mahesh Shivanna, Murthy S.N, Bharath. S, Madhavan V. Modification of physical characteristics of DCP by co-drying with beta-cyclodextrin, Indian drugs, 1999, 36(9), 601-605.
- Mahesh Shivanna, Murthy S.N, Swamy N, Paranjothy K.L.K, Formulation and evaluation of Isopropyl antipyrine oral suspensions. Indian.J.Pharm.sci, 1998, 60(2), 90-95.