Associate Professor of Orthopaedics
Gulhane Military Medical Academy(GATA)
Haydarpasa Training Hospital
High School: (1990-1994) Maltepe Military High School, Izmir,Turkey
Medical Faculty: (1994-2000) Gulhane Military Medical Academy Medical Faculty, Ankara,Turkey
Orthopaedic Residency: (2003-2007) Gulhane Military Medical Academy Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Istanbul,Turkey (trauma, hand surgery, arthroscopy, arthroplasty, tumour, spine surgery, sports medicine, pediatric surgery).
Former Job: Warship medical doctor (2000-2003)
- Orthopaedic staff surgeon at Diyarbakir Military Hospital(2007-2008)
- Research Fellow at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh/PA/USA (Sports Medicine Fellowship) (2009-2010)
- Orthopaedic staff surgeon at Kabil/Afghanistan Military Hospital (2010-2011)
- Orthopaedic staff surgeon at Izmir Military Hospital (2008-2012)
- Orthopaedic staff surgeon at Aksaz Military Hospital (2012-2015)
Current Job: Orthopaedic staff surgeon at Gulhane Military Medical Academy(GATA) Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology ( 23 November 2015-…)
Dr. Ozyurek is Associate Professor of Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Gulhane Military Medical Academy(GATA) Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey. He received his medical degree from Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara in 2000. He completed his specialty in Orthopaedic Surgery at GATA Haydarpasa Training Hospital in 2007 and then went on to complete a research fellowship in Sports Medicine in University of Pittsburgh in 2010. He is a specialist in surgical treatment of conditions of the ankle, foot, shoulder, hip and knee. His research focuses on performance and outcomes of surgical procedures and devices, delivery of care in sports medicine, trauma, adult reconstruction, and cartilage repair strategies.
Dr. Ozyurek has published numerous publications in the national and international peer-reviewed journals. He is the member of the editorial board of some national and international journals. Also he serves as reviewer in several journals.
Shoulder and Knee Arthroscopy and Open Surgery, Foot and Ankle surgery, Hand Surgery, Trauma, External Fixators-Ilizarov Surgery, Sports Medicine, Trauma, Rheumotology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Emergency Medicine, Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis.
Experience as a reviewer
- Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy
- Acta Orthopaedica et Traumatologica Turcica
- American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Oman Medical Journal
- Archives of Clinical and Experimental Surgery (ACES)
- Anatolian Journal of Clinical Investigation
- Cumhuriyet Medical Journal (CMJ)
- Foot and Ankle specialist
- Clinical Medicine Insights: Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Turkish Orthopaedics and Traumotology Association (TOTBID)
- Turkish Orthopaedics and Traumatology Education Council (TOTEK)
- Turkish Sports İnjuries Arthroscopy and Knee Surgery Association (TUSYAD)
- Turkish Musculoskeletal Shockwave Therapy Society
- Tezel O, Kaldirim U, Bilgic S, Deniz S, Eyi YE, Ozyurek S, Durusu M, Tezel N. A comparison of suprascapular nerve block and procedural sedation analgesia in shoulder dislocation reduction. Am J Emerg Med. 2014 Feb 17. pii: S0735-6757(14)00105-3.
- Ozyurek S, Kose O. Distal biceps brachii tendon rupture resulting in acute compartment syndrome. Orthopedics. 2014 Mar 1;37(3):147.
- B.Gokcen, S.Ozyurek, A.Atik, A.K.Sivrioglu, E.Kaya, K.Keklikçi. Successful Closed Manipulation of Simple Lateral Dislocation of the Elbow Joint: A Case Report. Oman Med J 2013 Nov; 28(6).
- K.Kara, A.K.Sivrioglu, S.Aribal, S.Ozyurek, M.Saglam, S.Sari, G.Sonmez, M. Deveer. “The diagnosis of osteoporosis by measuring lumbar vertebrae density with MDCT: a comparative study quantative computerized tomography (QCT). Acta Medica Mediterranea 2013,29:77.
- A.Atik, S.Ozyurek, E.I.Cıcek, O.Kose. Isolated slipped-retroverted osteochondral fracture of second metatarsal head. The Foot 2013,23:176-179.
- S.Ozyurek, O.Kose. Plantar dislocation of first metatarsophalangeal joint. Re: “Isolated plantar dislocation of the 1st metatarsophalangeal joint” [The Foot (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foot.2013.08.001].
- M.Incedayi, S.Ozyurek, S.Arıbal, K.Keklikci, G.Sonmez. Avulsion fracture of the anterior inferior iliac spinae mimicking a bone tumour: a case report. Oman Medical Journal. Kabul Tarihi: Accepted for publication.
- S.Ozyurek, E.Kaya, C.Kaplan, O.Kose, A.K.Sivrioglu, A.Atik, B.Gokcen, A.B.Carli, M.Z.Kiralp. The relationship between Alexithymia and sleep disorders in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Acta Medica Mediterranea 2013, 29:555-560
- E.Kaya, C.Kaplan, S.Ozyurek, U.Guzelkucuk, M.Z.Kiralp. Alexithymia and patient satisfaction in patients treated with balneotheraphy. Turk.J.Phys.Med.Reh. 2013 DOI:10.4274/tftr.88896
- F.Guler, O.Kose, S.Ozyurek. Re: Inter- and intra-observer reliability of a smartphone application for measuring hallux valgus angles [Foot Ankle Surg. 19(1) (2013) 18-21]. Foot Ankle Surg. 2013 Sep;19(3):206.
- S.Ozyurek, F.Guler, O.Kose. "The eyes won't see what the mind doesn't think of"--Confucius re: "how many joints does the 5th toe have? A review of 606 patients of 655 foot radiographs" [Foot Ankle Surg. 2012 Dec;18(4):263-65]. Foot Ankle Surg. 2013 Sep;19(3):202-3.
- O.Kose, S.Ozyurek, F.Guler, K.Canbora. Avulsion fracture of the anterior cruciate ligament in a 9-year-old child. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Aug 8;2013.
- E.Kaya, S.Ozyurek, C.Kaplan, B.Gokcen, O.Kose. Regression of an extruded lumbar disc herniation after thermomechanical massage bed therapy. OA Orthopaedics 2013 Aug 01;1(2):15.
- S.Ozyurek, F.Guler, K.Canbora, O.Kose. Asymptomatic lunotriquetral coalition: an incidental radiographic finding. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Jul 12;2013.
- A.K.Sivrioglu, M.Saglam, M.İncedayı, V.Kızılgöz, S.Ozyurek, G.Sönmez, M. Deveer. “The Use of a Smartphone Application to Determine Cardiothoracic Ratio”. Acta Medica Mediterranea 2013,29:415-418
- O.Ersen, F.Akyildiz, S.Ozyurek, A.K.Sivrioglu. Os calcaneus secundarius mimicking fracture. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 May 27;2013.
- A.Eraslan, S.Ozyurek, B.Erol, E.Ercan. Isolated medial cuneiform fracture: a commonly missed fracture. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 May 22;2013.
- A.Atik, S.Ozyurek, A.K.Sivrioglu, E.Kaya. Post-traumatic haemorrhagic synovitis of knee mimicking pigmented villonodular synovitis. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 May 22;2013.
- M.Durusu, U.Kaldirim, I.Arziman, E.I.Cicek, M.Eryilmaz, O.Kilickaya, Y.E.Eyi, A.O. Yildirim, S.K.Tuncer, S.Ozyurek, R.Akyildiz. Experiences from post-graduate courses organized by the NATO International Security and Assistance Force(ISAF) in support of the Afghan Health System. Balkan Military Medical Review Apr-June 2013; 16(2): 72-78
- S.Gurcan, S.Ozyurek, O.Kose, A.Sehirlioglu. Ankylosing pelvitrochanteric heterotopic ossification in a patient with spinal cord injury. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 May 21;2013.
- K.Canbora, S.Ozyurek, G.Gumussuyu, O.Kose. Triceps tendon avulsion and associated injuries of the elbow. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 May 9;2013.
- A.K.Sivrioglu, S.Ozyurek, M.Incedayi, H.Mutlu. A rarely diagnosed cause of anterior knee pain: Hoffa's disease. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 23;2013.
- A.Atik, S.Ozyurek, O.Kose, K.Koca, F.Guler. Solitary Metacarpal Osteochondroma; an Unusual Location. Med-Science. Online First: 19 Jun, 2013.
- A.K.Sivrioglu, S.Ozyurek, M.Saglam, G.Sonmez. An advanced stage of ankle arthropathy in a haemophilic patient. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 19;2013.
- O.Kose, B.Erol, S.Ozyurek, T.Ege. A giant medial parameniscal cyst of the knee joint. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 16;2013.
- S.Ozyurek, F.Guler, A.Turan, O.Kose. Symptomatic talar beak in talocalcaneal coalition. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 16;2013.
- S.Ozyurek, B.Erol, F.Guler, Z.Atbasi. Isolated partial rupture of the medial head of the gastrocnemius muscle (tennis leg). BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 9;2013.
- F.Guler, S.Ozyurek, A.Turan, O.Kose. A large bone fragment posterior to talus following medial subtalar dislocation. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 9;2013.
- B.Erol, S.Ozyurek, F.Guler, O.Kose. Lipoma arborescens of the knee joint. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 8;2013.
- A.K.Sivrioglu, S.Ozyurek, H.Mutlu, G.Sonmez. Piriformis syndrome occurring after pregnancy. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Mar 26;2013.
- S.Ozyurek, A.Atik, A.K.Sivrioglu, T.Ege. Primary synovial osteochondromatosis of the ankle. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Mar 25;2013.
- S.Ozyurek, F.Akyildiz, E.Kaya, H.Turgut. Regarding "Acute traumatic brachialis rupture in a young rugby player: a case report" and "Acute brachialis muscle rupture caused by closed elbow dislocation in a professional American football player". J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013 Aug;22(8):e23-4.
- S.Ozyurek, A.Atik, A.K.Sivrioglu, Z.Oztemur, M.Incedayi. Comment on P.-T. Wu et al.: Acromio-clavicular dislocation with coraco-clavicular ligament clavicular avulsion fracture. J Orthop Sci. 2013 Mar;18(2):361.
- M.Incedayi, A.K.Sivrioglu, S.Ozyurek, K.Kara. Retroperitoneal ancient schwannoma: multidetector CT findings. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Jan 2;2013.
- Z.Oztemur, H.Ozturk, S.Ozyurek, C.Kaloglu, U.H.Golge, O.Bulut. The long-term effects of extracorporeal shock waves on the epiphysis of the adolescent rat. J Orthop Sci. 2013 Jan;18(1):159-64.
- K.Koca, S.Ekinci, T.Ege, S.Ozyurek, M.Kurklu, B.Battal, M.Basbozkurt. Bilateral congenital absence of flexor pollicis brevis and abductor pollicis brevis muscles with bilateral thenar atrophy: a case report. Clin Med Insights Arthritis Musculoskelet Disord. 2012;5:59-62.
- E.Oguz, S.Ekinci, M.Eroglu, S.Bilgic, K.Koca, M.Durusu, U.Kaldirim, S.Sadir, Y.Yurttas, G.Cakmak, A.Kilic, T.Purtuloglu, S.Ozyurek, Y.Cekli, H.Ozkan, A.Sehirlioglu . Evaluation and comparison of the effects of hyperbaric oxygen and ozonized oxygen as adjuvant treatments in an experimental osteomyelitis model. J Surg Res. 2011 Nov;171(1):e61-8.
- A.T.Ilica, S.Ozyurek, O.Kose, M.Durusu. Diagnostic accuracy of multidetector computed tomography for patients with suspected scaphoid fractures and negative radiographic examinations. Jpn J Radiol. 2011 Feb;29(2):98-103.
- O.Kose, M.Celiktas, B.Kisin, S.Ozyurek, S.Yigit. Is there a relationship between forefoot alignment and ingrown toenail? A case-control study. Foot Ankle Spec. 2011 Feb;4(1):14-7.
- S.Ozyurek, C.F.van Eck, F.H.Fu. Tunnel position and relationship to postoperative knee laxity after double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with a transtibial technique. Am J Sports Med. 2010 Sep;38(9):NP3-4; author reply NP4-6.
- S.Ozyurek, E.I.Cicek, B.Demiralp, M.Kuskucu, M.Basbozkurt. Metacarpal giant-cell tumor of bone in children. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2010 May;19(3):285-6.
- E.Kaya, A.H.Kayar, S.Ozyurek, M.Durusu. Klippel-Feil Syndrome and Dekstrocardia: A Case Report. Turkish Journal of Rheumatology 2009; 24: 163-5
- C.Solakoglu, S.Ozyurek, O.Rodop, E.Kaya, M.Durusu. A Rare Cause of Chronic Low Back Pain: Osteoblastoma of the Lumbar Spine. Turkish Journal of Rheumatology 2009; 24: 232-3
- O.Kose, S.Ozyurek. Meralgia paresthetica due to fracture of anterior superior iliac spine in an adolescent. CJEM. 2009 Nov;11(6):514.
- S.Ozyurek, O.Rodop, O.Kose, F.Cilli, M.Mahirogullari. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the fifth metacarpal. Orthopedics. 2009 Aug;32(8):606.
- C.Yildirim, S.Ozyurek, E.I.Ciçek, M.Kuskucu. Melorheostosis in the upper extremity. Orthopedics. 2009 Apr;32(4):287.
- S.Ozyurek, M.Mahirogullari, F.Cilli, K.Keklikci, O.Pehlivan, A.Kiral. Transient migratory osteoporosis. J Clin Rheumatol. 2009 Mar;15(2):101-2.
- M.Durusu, M.Eryilmaz, A.T.Ilica, S.Ozyurek. Can a thick snow layer be protective on mine injuries: Case Report. Balkan Military Medical Review 2009 12:1-7
- O.Pehlivan, F.Cilli, M.Mahirogullari, S.Ozyurek. Management of combined open fractures of thumb metacarpal and trapezium (surgical tip). Hand (N Y). 2007 Jun;2(2):48-50.
- F.Cilli, S.Ozyurek, K.Erler, A.Kiral. Chondromyxoid fibroma of the clavicle. J Orthop Sci. 2007 Mar;12(2):193; author reply 194.
- I.Akmaz, S.Ozyurek, A.Kiral. The trapezium: a new location for an aneurysmal bone cyst. J Hand Surg Br. 2006 Dec;31(6):700; author reply 700-1.
- O.Rodop, S.Ozyurek. Unusual localization of osteoid osteoma. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2006 Sep;126(7):500.