Professor of Medicine
University of New South Wales and Griffith University
|M.B. B.S.||University of New South Wales, Australia 1972|
|F.R.A.C.G.P.||Royal Australian College of GPs, Australia 1978|
|F.R.A.C.P.||Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Australia 1981|
|Grad. Dip. (Further Ed.)||Adelaide College of Advanced Education, Australia 1982|
|Grad. Dip. (Tert. Ed.)||New England University, Australia 1982|
|M.D.||University of New South Wales, Australia 1984|
|F.A.F.P.H.M.||Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Australia 1990|
|B.Leg.S.||Macquarie University, Australia 1992|
|F.A.C.L.M.||Australasian College of Legal Medicine, Australia 1997|
|F.R.C.P||Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh, UK 1999|
|F.A.C.B.S.||Australasian College of Biomedical Scientists, Australia 1999|
|M.H.L.||University of Sydney, Australia 2000|
|Accredited Sleep Physician||Australasian Sleep Association (ASA), Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ) and RACP, Australia 2001|
|Trained Assessor||Personal Impairment Assessment, Workcover and Motor Accident Authority of New South Wales, Australia|
|FFFLM (Hon)||Faculty of Forensic & Legal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK 2007|
|GCP training||Professor Beran has conducted clinical trials for greater than 30 years and his approach and acceptance of good clinical practice has been published.|
Professor Beran is a consultant neurologist with a long history of involvement in epilepsy related research. He has been on the executive of the Epilepsy Society of Australia, Commissions from the International League Against Epilepsy and the International Bureau for Epilepsy.
Since 2002, he has been a Conjoint Associate Professor in the South Western Sydney Clinical School of the University of New South Wales and is a senior visiting neurologist to the Department of Neurology at the Liverpool Hospital, in Sydney, as well as other hospitals. Most of his research was conducted in the clinical setting of private neurological practice.
He wears many hats, being the President of the Australian College of Legal Medicine, on the Board of the Australian Institute of Health Law and Ethics, an accredited sleep physician and a Fellow of the Australian Faculty of Public Heath Medicine. He has been involved with levetiracetam since its introduction to trials in Australia and continues to trial it in epilepsy and other conditions.
- Health law & ethics
- Drug trials
- Public health
- Legal medicine
- Legal medicine education
- Neurological conditions & new therapies
- Sleep disorders
- Neurological advances in Asia and developing countries
|1973 - 1975||Medical Stream, Basic Training, St. Vincents Hospital, Sydney, Australia|
|1976 - 1977||General Practice, Sydney, Australia|
|1978 - 1979||Neurology Training, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, Australia|
|1978 - 1980||Clinical Tutor Neurology, University of Adelaide, Australia|
|1978 - 1980||Demonstrator Neuroanatomy, University of Adelaide, Australia|
|1979 - 1980||Senior Registrar, Neurology, Adelaide Children's Hospital, Australia|
|1980(6 mths)||Research Registrar Neuroepidemiology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Australia|
|1980 - 1982||Honorary Registrar Neurology and Clinical Neurology Tutor, Prince Henry/Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia|
|1980 - 1983||M.D. Study, "Neuroepidemiology of Epilepsy," School of Community Medicine,University of New South Wales, Australia|
|1982 - 1984||Epilepsy Rehabilitation Clinic, Royal Ryde Rehabilitation Hospital, Australia|
|1982 - 1983||Prince Henry/Prince of Wales Hospital, Accredited Neurologist, Australia|
|1982 - 1987||Epilepsy Rehabilitation Unit, Mount Wilga Rehabilitation Centre, Australia|
|1982 - 1990||V.M.O. Neurology, North Sydney Community Hospital, Australia|
|1983 - 1984||Accredited Neurologist, Neuropsychiatric Institute, Prince Henry Hospital, Australia|
|1983 - 1986||Visiting Fellow, School of Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Australia|
|1981||V.M.O. Neurology, Royal Rehabilitation Centre, Sydney. Australia|
|1982 - 2009||V.M.O. Neurology, Royal Australian Navy Hospital, HMAS Penguin, Australia|
|1982||Consultant Neurologist Royal Australian Navy, Australia|
|1983||V.M.O. Neurology, Fairfield District Hospital, Australia|
|1984 - 1997||V.M.O. Neurology, Macquarie Hospital, North Ryde, Australia|
|1984||V.M.O. Neurology, Liverpool Hospital, Australia|
|1990 - 2000||Accredited Neurologist, Prince Henry Hospital, Australia|
|1993||Consultant Neurologist and Director, Strategic Health Evaluators, Suite 5, Level 6, 12 Thomas Street, Chatswood, NSW 2067 Australia|
|1993 -2000||Visiting Fellow, School of Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Australia|
|1996||V.M.O. Neurology, Braeside Rehabilitation Hospital, Australia|
|2002 - 2015||Conjoint Associate Professor, Dept of Medicine, South West Sydney Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Australia|
|2005||Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine, Griffith University, Queensland, Australia|
|2015||Conjoint Professor, Dept of Medicine, South West Sydney Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Australia|
Honours & Awards
|1972||University of NSW Public Health Prize|
|1981||Francis Hardy Faulding Memorial Research Fellowship: RACGP|
|1982||Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellowship|
|1990||The Sydney Morning Herald & NSW Government Inaugural Employers Award for Training Excellence 1996 Member of Board of Governors - World Association of Medical Law – (Vice President 2004-2006; Executive Vice President 2006 – 2008;Secretary General 2008 -)|
|1996||Corresponding Fellow, American Academy of Neurology|
|2002||President of Australasian College of Legal Medicine (stepped down 2011 but remained on Council)|
|2009||Promoted to rank of Commander, Royal Australian Naval Reserve|
|2010||Visiting Professor International Research Institute of Health Law Sciences, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China|
|2011||Academic and Clinical Excellence Award (Best First Author Publication), School of Medicine, Griffith University, Qld|
|2015||Order of Australia - Member of the General Division (Australia Day Honour List) [AM]|
- Generic substitution in contravention of doctor's prescriptions R. G. Beran Oct 2015 · Internal Medicine Journal.
- Nontraumatic spinal cord ischaemic syndrome Louise Rigney · Cecilia Cappelen-Smith · Dale Sebire · Roy G. Beran · Dennis Cordato . Jul 2015 · Journal of Clinical Neuroscience.
- The Effect of Biofeedback as a Psychological Intervention in Multiple Sclerosis: A Randomized Controlled Study Alison M Mackay · Robert Buckingham · Raymond S Schwartz · Suzanne Hodgkinson · Roy G Beran · Dennis J Cordato. May 2015 · International Journal of MS Care.
- Author reply. R G Beran No preview · Article · Apr 2015 · Internal Medicine Journal.
- Paraesthesia and peripheral neuropathy Roy G Beran. Mar 2015 · Australian family physician.
- Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy Roy G Beran No preview · Article · Feb 2015 · Epilepsy & Behavior
- SUDEP revisited - A decade on: Have circumstances changed? Roy G Beran Feb 2015 · Seizure.
- The benefits of antiepileptic drug (AED) blood level monitoring to complement clinical management of people with epilepsy Daria Stepanova · Roy G Beran Dec 2014, Epilepsy & Behavior.
- Mandatory notification of impaired doctors R. G. Beran Dec 2014, Internal Medicine Journal
- Problem gambling Roy G Beran No preview · Article · Nov 2014, Australian family physician
- An appraisal of the new operational definition of epilepsy—Then and now Ashish Malkan · Roy G. Beran Nov 2014, Epilepsy & Behavior.
- Anti-synthetase syndrome associated with anti PL-12 and anti-Signal recognition particle antibodies and a necrotizing auto-immune myositis Ashish Malkan · Cecilia Cappelen-Smith · Roy Beran · Neil Griffith · Catherine Toong · Min-Xia Wang · Dennis Cordato. Aug 2014, Journal of Clinical Neuroscience.
- Measurement of levetiracetam drug levels to assist with seizure control and monitoring of drug interactions with other anti-epileptic medications (AEMs) Daria Stepanova · Roy G. Beran. May 2014, Seizure.
- Anti-synthetase syndrome associated with necrotizing myositis – Utility of myositis specific autoantibodies in predicting prognosis and choice of treatment Ashish Malkan · Dennis Cordato · Neil Griffith · Cecilia Cappelen-Smith · Catherine Toong · Roy Beran Apr 2014, Clinical Neurophysiology
- Management of chronic headache Roy G Beran No preview · Article · Mar 2014 · Australian family physician
- Compulsive gambling possibly associated with antiepileptic medication Susanne Storrier · Roy G. Beran Article · Jan 2014 · Epilepsy and Behavior Case Reports
- Anti-synthetase syndrome associated with anti PL-12 and anti-Signal recognition particle antibodies and a necrotizing auto-immune myositis Ashish Malkan · Cecilia Cappelen-Smith · Roy Beran · Neil Griffith · Catherine Toong · Min-Xia Wang · Dennis Cordato. Jan 2014
- Rectal carbamazepine as effective long-acting treatment after cluster seizures and status epilepticus Vishal Patel · Dennis J Cordato · Ashish Malkan · Roy G Beran Dec 2013 · Epilepsy & Behavior.
- Heat stroke induced cerebellar dysfunction: A "forgotten syndrome" Athula D Kosgallana · Shreyashee Mallik · Vishal Patel · Roy G Beran Article · Nov 2013.
- Rebound exacerbation multiple sclerosis following cessation of oral treatment Roy G. Beran · Yaser Hegazi · Raymond S. Schwartz · Dennis J. Cordato Jul 2013 · Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders.
- Beran RG. (Editor) (2004) Epilepsy: and the Law of Therapeutics. Yozmot, Tel-Aviv
- Beran RG. (Editor) (2002) Epilepsy: A Question of Ethics. Yozmot, Tel-Aviv
- Beran RG. (Editor) (2000) Epilepsy: Duty of Care. Yozmot, Tel-Aviv
- Pachlatko Ch., Beran RG. (Editors) (1999) Economic Aspects of Epilepsy: An Overview Epilepsia. 40, Supplement 8, ILAE/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, New York
- Beran RG. (Editor) (1999) Epilepsy and Driving. Yozmot, Tel-Aviv
- Beran RG. (Editor) (1997) Epilepsy and Law. Yozmot, Tel-Aviv
- Beran RG. (1997) Epilepsy: Facts About Fits. MacLennan and Petty, Sydney
- Beaumont M. (1988) Epilepsy in Education : A Manual for Teachers Project Reference Committee - Buchanan N, Gourley R, Hopkins I, Beran R, Wellings J, Eppinger J, Marshall Fell K, Haskell S, Munro J, Representative (Ministry of Education, Melbourne), National Epilepsy Association of Australia, Melbourne
- Beaumont M. (1987) Epilepsy and Learning Project Reference Committee-Buchanan N, Hopkins I, Beran R, Wellings J, Gourley R. National Epilepsy Association of Australia, Melbourne
- Beran RG. (1983) Epidemiological Studies of Epilepsy in Sydney, Australia. Federal Department of Health, Canberra
- Beran RG. (1982) Learning about Epilepsy. Medical Education Services Ltd, Oxford
- Beran RG. (2010) Privacy within the First Decade of the 21st Century (p75-80) in Principles of Addictions and the Law (ed) N Miller. Academic Press. Oxford, UK
- Beran RG, Devereux JA, Lafrance Jr W C. (2009) Legal medicine considerations related to non-epileptic seizures Gates and Rowan's Non-epileptic Seizures (3rd ed) (p157-160) Steven C Schachter & W Curt LaFrance Jr, Cambridge University Press
- Beran RG. (2009) Ethics of Clinical Research in Drug Trials (Chpt 24.1 p1099-1110) in Clinical Trials Handbook Editor Shayne Cox Gad, John Wiley & Sons Inc. Publication, New Jersey, USA
- Beran RG. (2009) Epilepsy, Driving and Law (p 97-107) in Social Epileptology: Understanding Social Aspects of Epilepsy (ed) J Pinikahana and C Walker Nova Science Publishers, New York, USA