- Lecturer in Chemistry, Government College, Kushtia, Bangladesh, 1969-1980.
- Teaching and Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, Brock University, St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada, 1980-1982.
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Government College, Bangladesh, 1982-1983.
- Teaching and Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, The University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 1983-1987.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Division of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering,
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, 1987-1988.
- Research Associate, Department of Pathology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 1988-1991.
- Research Associate, School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 1991-1992.
- Research Instructor, Department of Radiology, PET Imaging Science Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 1992-1994.
- Assistant Professor (tenure-track), Department of Radiology, PET Imaging Science Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 1994-2000.
- Associate Professor (Research), Department of Radiology. University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2000-2004.
- Associate Professor (Research), Department of Pathology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2001-2004.
- Associate Professor, Department of Experimental Diagnostic Imaging, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer center, Houston, TX. 2004-2013.
- Associate Professor, Department of Cancer Systems Imaging, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer center, Houston, TX. 2013-present.
- Associate Member, University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Science. 2012-present
Academic administrative appointment/responsibilities:
- In charge of coordinating and assigning chemistry courses, Government College, Bangladesh, 1982-1983.
Institutional committee activities:
- Member, Strategic Planning Subcommittee, USC, Department of Radiology, 1994.
- Member, Resident Faculty Fellow, Mentor resident students, USC, 1994-2004.
- Member, Scientific Council Committee, USC, School of Medicine, 1996-2004.
- Interviewer, Medical School Applicants, USC, 1997-2004.
- Member, Radioactive Drug Research Committee (RDRC), M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2007-2008.
- Member, Radiation Safety Committee (RSC), M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2009-present.
- Member, Advisory Board for the Department of Scientific Publications, UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2012-present.
- Member, Tollman Award Committee, ACS, Southern California Section, 1998.
- Judge, Annual Science Fair, Bravo Magnet High School, Los Angeles, CA, 1996.
- Judge, Annual Science Fair, State of California, Los Angeles, CA, 1996.
- Judge, Annual Science Fair, Alhambra High School, Alhambra, CA, 1989-1990.
- Member, Associate editorial Board, American Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. 2011- Present.
- CoCensys Inc., Irvine, CA, 1991-1992.
- Rokus & Associates, Valencia, CA 1995.
- Medex Inc., Wood Dale, IL, 1996.
- Cancer Therapeutics, Los Angeles, CA, 2000.
Military or other Govt. services: None
Honors and Awards:
- Teaching and Research Assistantship, Brock University,
- St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada, 1980-1982.
- Teaching and Research Assistantship, University of Manitoba,
- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 1983-1987.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Caltech, Pasadena, CA, 1987-1988.
- Zumberge Fellow, University of Southern California, 1996.
- Listed in Who’s Who of North America, 61st edition, 2007.
Grants and contracts (funded and pending)-past five years:
- Molecular imaging of Stem Cell Transplantation in Heart, 1R01HL086983-01A1, 8/2007-5/2011.; P. I: Juri Gelovani, M.D., Ph.D. & Ed Yeh, M. D., Co-investigator (5%).
- Imaging and molecular markers for patients with lung cancer: Approaches with Molecular targets; IMPACT. P.I. W. Hong. M.D., DOD, PO1 W81XWH-05-2-0027; 2/2005-03/2010. Co-investigator (5%).
- Experimental Cancer Research program, NIH/NCI; 1 U24 CA126577-01, 07/01/07-02/29/12, P. I. John Hazle, Ph. D. The goal of this proposal is to establish an Experimental Cancer Imaging Research Program (ECIRP) at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. Co-Investigator (5%).
- Expanding the application of tracerlab FX modules for synthesis of [18F]-labeled arabino pyrimidine nucleosides, NaF and fluoroacetate. 2007. PI: Mian Alauddin ($310,000. no salary).
- Imaging of HDAC inhibition using novel radiotracer technology, LS007-000194081W, Demonstrate usefulness of Histone Deacetylase (HDAC) substrate, F-18 FAHA, in a non-human primate and validate the radiotracer as a positron emission tomography (PET) biomarker of HDAC inhibitory potency (MERCK); 01/2007-01/2010. P. I. Juri Gelovani M.D., Ph. D. Co-investigator (10%).
- Assessing drug response and prognosis in breast cancer using AAVP-based targeted molecular genetic imaging; DOD (breast), W81XWH-09-1-2004; 06/2009-08/2014. P.I. Renata Pasqualini, Ph.D. Roll: Co-investigator (10%).
- RC2 DA028912-01; NIH/NIDA, 10/01/09-09/30/11; 30%, (4 calendar month).
Role: Co-investigator, HDAC Class IIa specific PET radiotracers for PET imaging of CNS. This project aims at the development and pre-clinical validation of novel HDAC Class IIa-specific PET imaging agents for monitoring the expression-activity of HDAC class IIa enzymes during the establishment of addiction to amphetamines and during withdrawal.
- PET imaging of ornithine decaroxylase (ODC) in tumors; Institutional Research Grant, P. I. (10% no salary).
- 1R01DA030333–01; NIH/NIDA, 9/15/2010-8/15/2015; $698,096/yr. including overhead through 05/31/2015; 16.66% (2 cal month), PI: Gelovani. Role: Co-investigator, Novel HDAC Class III Specific Radiotracers for PET Imaging.
This project aims at development of probes for PET imaging of HDAC class III.
- P01 CA148600A, NIH/NCI, 9/1/2011−8/31/2016, $10,170,395. Improving cord blood transplantation. P. I. Shpall. Role: Co-investigator, 15% (1.8 cal month).
Goal: To develop novel strategies for enhanced engraftment with ex vivo expansion and improved homing of cord blood progenitors.
- Institutional grant (PI Alauddin). Detection of early stage pancreatic cancer using PET and 18F-FEL.
- R01, NIH (PI Najjar), co-investigator, 5% support.
- Clinical Translation of 89Zr-Antibodies for PET Imaging of Immune Checkpoint Blockade (PI David Piwnica-Worms); Co-investigator (30%). SU2C.
Patents granted and pending:
- Imaging agents and methods for the preparation and use thereof. U.S. Patent No. 5,879,661; 1999.
- 2´-Deoxy-2´-fluoro-D-arabinofuranosyl pyrimidine nucleoside. U.S. Patent No. 6,331,287; .2001.
- Methods for expedient synthesis of [18F]-labeled α-trifluoro-methyl ketones.
U.S. Patent No. 6,872,855; March 29, 2005.
Alauddin et al. [18F]-furanosylpurine derivatives and uses thereof. WO/2004/096138. International Application No. PCT/US2004/012576.
- Preparation of radiolabeled imatinib derivatives for positron emission tomography imaging of cancer cells. PCT Int. Appl. (2008), 35pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2008024829 A2 20080228 AN 2008:255723 CAPLUS.
- Disaccharide halo-radiolabeled markers and methods of their synthesis and use in PET imaging of cancers. PCT Int. Appl. (2008), 14pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2008024830 A2 20080228 AN 2008:253447 CAPLUS.
- Radio-halo-thymidines and methods of their synthesis and use in PET imaging of cancer cells. PCT Int. Appl. (2008), 33pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2008024826 A2 20080228 AN 2008:253438 CAPLUS.
- Methods and compositions related to adeno-associated virus-phase particles. Date disclosed: April 2006. US patent application No. 11/733,148.
- Non-invasive molecular imaging of cellular histone deacetylase inhibition using MRS.
Date filed: April 21, 2006. Ser. No.60/745,361.
- Novel agents for in vivo PET imaging of tumor proliferation. US patent application Ser No. 60/889,477, filed on February 12, 2007. WO2008100848 (A2).
- Non-Invasive Molecular Imaging of Cellular Histone Deacetylase Substrate Using Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) and Positron Emission Tomography (PET). Patent Ser No. 60/923,056, filed on April 12, 2007.
- Novel radiolabeled N3-substitued thymidine analogues for PET imaging of in vivo
thymidine kinase (TK1) activity. Date disclosed: July 2006.
- Alauddin, Mian M.; Mukhopadhyay, Uday; Gelovani, Juri; Pal, Ashutosh; Bornmann, William. Nucleoside analog for in vivo PET imaging of tumor proliferation. PCT Int. Appl. (2008), 19pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2008100848 A2 20080821 CAN 149:275038 AN 2008:1005683 CAPLUS
- Tetanus Toxin Fragment c Based imaging agents and methods, and confocal microscopy dataset processes. Application No/Patent No. 07812508.5-1216 PCT/US2007072571.
- Mian Alauddin, Renata pasqualini, Juri gelovani and Wadih Arap. Methods and compositions related to adenoassociated virus-phage particles. Application/patent no. 07760348.8-1219 PCT/US2007066265.
- N. Turkman, J. Gelovani, M.M. Alauddin. Novel PET imaging agents for detection of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC). Disclosed on 4/6/10.MDA-10-080.
- N. Turkman, J. Gelovani, M.M. Alauddin Novel method for stereospecific fluorination at the 2′-arabino-position of pyrimidine nucleosides. Disclosed on 4/13/10. MDA-10-81.
- M. Alauddin, R. Ivanov, A. Shavrin, J.G. Gelovani. Novel inverse agonists of cannabinoid CB2 receptor: suitable for treatment and PET imaging of neurological disease, brain injury and inflamation, and central nevus system (CNS). Disclosed on 4/28/10. MD-10-087.
- Turkman N. Pal. A. Alauddin. MM., Tong W. Gelovani J.G. Substituted lactosyl compounds and use thereof for cellular imaging and therapy. UTSC.P1084US.P1 (Filed, 2/24/2011).
- Turkman N. Pal. A. Alauddin. MM., Tong W. Gelovani J.G. Substituted lactosyl compounds and use thereof for cellular imaging and therapy. International patent application No. PCT/US 2012/026344 (UTFC.P1084WO) filed on 2/24/2012.
- Turkman et al. Improved synthesis of [18F]-fluoroethyl-beta-D-lactose ([18F]-FEL) for PET imaging of pancreatic cancer. US patent application No. 61/722,981 (filed on 11/15/2012).
- Member, NIH study section, June 2003, Radiochemistry and Radiopharmaceuticals development Research proposals.
- Member, DOE study section, June 18-19, 2009, Radiochemistry and Instrumentation Research proposals.
- Member, Institutional grant reviewer; inter-institutional grant proposals, 2011-present.