Associate Professor and Chair of the University Research Ethics Board
Department of Psychology
Mount Saint Vincent University
|1996-2001||Doctor of Philosophy Degree||Developmental Psychology||Carleton University, Ottawa, ON|
|1994- 1996||Master of Arts|| Human Development
*Graduated Cum Laude
|Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON|
|1990- 1994|| Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree
|*Graduated Cum Laude||Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON|
My research interests are in the area of developmental psychology and more specifically social development. I have expertise in the areas of parenting behaviours, cognitions, and attributions, emotion and behavioural regulation, temperament, Goodness of Fit Theory, Theory of Mind and Meta-Emotion.
|2006 – present||Associate Professor||Department of Psychology||Mount Saint Vincent University|
|2001-2006||Assistant Professor||Department of Psychology||Mount Saint Vincent University|
|2000-2000||Contract Professor||Faculty of Social Sciences||Heritage College|
|1998-,2001||Sessional Lecturer||Department of Psychology||Carleton University|
- Hipson, W. E., & Séguin, D. G. (2016). Goodness of Fit Model. To appear in: V. Zeigler- Hill, & T. K. Shackelford (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Personality and Individual Differences. New York: Springer.
- Seguin, D.G., Hipson, W. (2015). Unraveling the complex associations between emotional intelligence and personality in later childhood and early adolescence. Early Child Development and Care. doi: 10.1080/03004430.2015.1084803
- Seguin, D.G, & Klimek, V. (2015). Just five more minutes please: Electronic media use, sleep, and behaviour in young children. Early Child Development and Care. doi: 10.1080/03004430.2015.1071528
- Hipson, W. E., & Séguin, D. G. (2015). Is good fit related to good behaviour? Goodness of fit between daycare teacher-child relationships, temperament, and prosocial behaviour. Early Child Development and Care. doi: 10.1080/03004430.2015.1061518
- Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. & Deleavey, A. (2011). Memories of Adolescence: Can Perceptions ofSocial Supports be Predicted from Baumrind’s Traditional Parenting Typologies? International Journal of Adolescence and Youth., 16, 24-38.
- Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. & d’Entremont, M-R. (2010). A scientific exploration of positive psychology in adolescence: The role of hope as a buffer against the influences of psychosocial negativities. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 16, 69-97.
Lagacé-Séguin, D. G. & Case, E. (2010). Extracurricular Activity and Parental Involvement Predicts Positive Outcomes in Elementary School Children. Early Child Development and Care, 180 (4), 453-462
- Ellsworth, A. & Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. (2009). In retrospect: Is youth grade retention associated with self-esteem and self-efficacy in early childhood?International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 15, 1-18.
- Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. & Gionet, A. (2009). Parental Meta-Emotion and Temperament Predict Coping Skills in Early Adolescence. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 14, 367-382.
- Lagacé-Séguin, D. G. & Case, E. (in press). Extracurricular Activity and Parental Involvement Predicts Positive Outcomes in Elementary School Children. Early Child Development and Care.
- LaBillois, J. & Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. (2009). Does a good fit matter?: Exploring teaching styles, emotion regulation and childhood anxiety in the classroom. Early Child Development and Care, 179 (3), 303-315
- Jones, S & Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. (2006). I think I can’t, I think I can’t: Associations between parental pessimism and children’s well-being. Early Child Development and Care, 176 (8), 849-865.
- Lagacé-Séguin, D.G., & d’Entremont, M.-R. (2006). The Role of Child Negative Affect in the Relations between Parenting Styles and Non-Adaptive Play. Early Child Development and Care,176 (5) 461-477.
- Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. & d’Entremont, M.-R. (2006). Less than optimal parenting strategies predict maternal low-level depression beyond that of child transgressions. Early Child Development and Care, 176 (3&4),343-355.
- Lagacé-Séguin, D.G., & Coplan, R. (2005). Maternal Emotional Styles and Child Social Adjustment: Assessment, Correlates, Outcomes and Goodness of Fit in Early Childhood. Social Development, 14 (4), 613-636.
- Lagacé-Séguin, D.G. & d’Entremont, M.-R. (2005). Weathering the Preschool Environment: Affect Moderates the Relations Between Meteorology and Preschool Behavior. Early Child Development and Care, 175 (5), 379-394.
- Coplan, R.J., Hastings, P., Lagacé-Séguin, D., & Moulton, C.E. (2002). Authoritative and authoritarian mothers' parenting goals,attributions, and emotions across different childrearing contexts. Parenting: Science and Practice, 2, 1-26.
- Lagace-Seguin, D.G., & Coplan, R.J. (2001). Winter weather go away, come again another day! Meteorology and mothers’ perceptions of children’s emotions during the winter season. Canadian Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 8.4, 39-50.
- Coplan, R., Gavinski, M-H., Lagacé-Séguin, D.G., & Wichmann, C.G. (2001). When girls versus boys play alone: Gender differences in the relations between nonsocial play and adjustment in kindergarten. Developmental Psychology, 37(4), 464-474.
- Coplan, R.J., Wichmann, C., Lagacé-Séguin, D. (2001). Solitary-active play: A marker variable for maladjustment in the preschool? Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 15(2) 164-172.
- Coplan, R.J., Barber, A., & Lagace-Seguin, D. (1999). The role of child temperament as a predictor of early literacy and numeracy skills in preschoolers. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 14, 537-553.
- Coplan, R.J., Wichmann, C., Lagace-Seguin, D., Rachlis, L.M., & McVey, M.K. (1999). The "degree" of instructor education and child outcomes in junior kindergarten: A comparison of certificated teachers and early childhood educators. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 14 (1), 78-90.
- Donegani,C. & Seguin, D. "Exploring Affect and Regulation as Predictors of Conflict in Early Adolescence". Journal of Research in Adolescence.
- Seguin, D. G. & MacDonald, B. The Role of Emotion Regulation and Temperament in the Prediction of the Quality of Social Relationships in Early Childhood. Early Child Development and Care.
- Seguin, D.G., Hipson, W., Farbstein, J. Social Support Impacts the Prediction of Locus of Control for University Students Differentiated on Personality and Parenting. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Public Health Agency of Canada. (2016). Nobody’s Perfect Parenting Program Books (Cat.: HP15-21/1-2015E). Ottawa, ON Canada. FRP Publications.